Chapter 62

Cameron Santiago POV

I see them getting frustrated with me. I'm talking about Ali, Kelley, and Ashlyn. They just want to help me get better, but I can't help it. Them being frustrated just scares my mind into thinking they'll leave me because of it which makes me shut down even more. Adding Mason to the mix has helped the situation a little bit though. He has gotten me out of bed and interacting more. He helps distract me but every time I stare into his eyes, all I see is Abigail. People have been helping out with him, but I know he is my responsibility.

Dr. Lauren has been over every day since Kelley called her that one time. She makes me communicate in photos. She lays out a series of pictures and asks a simple question. When I go to answer she makes me point at a picture describing my answer. Today she is taking me to the park. She decided for Ali, Ash, and Mason to join us in today's session. When we get there, Dr. Lauren said she'll hold and play with Mason while I kick the ball with Krashlyn.

"Excuse me." I feel someone tugging in the bottom of my shirt. I turn around and see a young toddler looking up at me.

I squat down to their level and make eye contact.

"Can you play with me too?" The young girl asks. I nod and pass the ball to her.

I see Krashlyn watching the whole interaction going down wondering how I will react and engage. I continue passing the ball to the kid as she returns it over. She giggles every time I make an effort to chase down one of her horrible kicks back. I smile in return,

"Elizabeth!" A woman comes running over to the girl. "How many times do I tell you, running away isn't safe."

"But mommy, I found someone to play with." She points at me.

"I'm so sorry if she interrupted you guys. She's all over the place. Thank you for playing with her though. She seems very excited." The mother says.

"She seems like a wonderful kid." Ali replies knowing I won't.

"Okay say goodbye, Elizabeth."

"Wait, mommy." The kid says and runs out of her mom's arms and up to me. "What's your name?"

I squat back down and stare at the child. Without thinking, I reply, "Cameron."

"Thank you, Cameron!" The child wraps her arms around me before saying goodbye.

I know Ali and Ashlyn heard me speak, but they act as if it never happened which I am thankful for. I go back to Dr. Lauren and grab Mason from her arms to put him on the swings before we go back. As I'm swinging the smiling child, I see Krashlyn talking to Lauren. They're most likely talking about what just happened and what it means with my progress.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"I didn't know she even had a baby. She has never mentioned it once." I explain to Dr. Lauren, Ali, and Ash. We sat on the couches in the living room as Mason naps.

"Maybe she was ashamed? Or didn't know how to tell you?" Ash says, trying to come up with a solution. I sigh and put my head in my hands.

"There's something else we want to talk to you about." Ali mentions and I look up to face her. "I know with everything going on we lost track of time, but we got a call from your coach at Stanford worried when you didn't show up this week for pre-season. You also start school in two weeks so we need to figure out-"

"I'm not going back." I flat out cut her off.

"What?" I hear all three say with wild expressions.

"What are you talking about, Cameron?" Ash questions my words.

"I'm dropping out of college." I try to make them understand.