Chapter 11

Cameron Santiago POV

I wake up to someone's body heat and arm wrapped protectively around me. I lay there just thinking of everything that took place within 24 hours. What the hell happened? It was all a rollercoaster ride of emotions from winning the game, celebrating, ending up in the hospital, and now in Ash's embrace. I take a deep breath and soak everything in. Being in Ash's arm, I feel the safest I have been since I've lost my family. Her presence alone makes me feel protected.

Not too soon after I wake up, I hear my door unlocking. Kelley and Ali enter.

"Good morning," they both whisper seeing Ash still asleep.

"Good morning."

"How'd you sleep last night?" Ali asks.

"Woke up once, but then slept like a baby." I reply. I slowly take off Ash's arm and slide off the bed.

"That's good. Well there's a team meeting happening in an hour. I figured I would ask if and Ash if you're up to it. Vlatko texted me saying if we needed time he'll excuse us." Ali says making her way to Ash.

"Ash wake up." No response. I swear this woman could sleep through anything, so Ali hops on the bed. "Ashyyy wake up!" Ash just groans.

"Ash, something is wrong with Cameron!" Kelley decides to shout. Nobody expected the repercussions of her words. Ash sits up wide awake.

"Where is she?" Ash quickly says. We just chuckle over Ash's protective instincts. I don't doubt for a second she would put me before her if needed to be done.

"Right here. I am okay. Kelley is just being an asshole this morning." I wanted to calm her down even though it was meant as a joke. I know there was fear running through her mind. Ash picks up a pillow and throws it over at Kelley's face.

"So there's a team meeting in less than an hour and Vlatko wants to know if we are coming, but will also excuse us if we aren't up for it." Kelley says to Ash. I see Ash make eye contact with me.

"I'm good to go." I say to Ash knowing she probably won't leave my side for a while. Ash nods in agreement, so we all get ready. I shower, put on some nike sweats, our team windbreaker, and some nike sneakers. We make our way to the room where the meeting is being held, and I am engulfed in multiple embraces.

"I'm glad you are okay."

"Do you need anything?"

"Girl you scared the shit out of us!"

"How are you going to save the team and almost die on the same day."

I hear multiple people say.

"I'm well and healthy. Yesterday was a scare to all of us, and I'm sorry I had to put you guys through it. But we all come out stronger during our weakest moments."

"Okay guys have a seat. Welcome back, Cameron. Now let's get on with the meeting." Coach Vlatko states.

The meeting goes on for an hour. We debrief on our game and how to prepare for our next match that's less than a month away. We go over a little bit of footage and then break for breakfast. After breakfast we head back to our rooms to pack. As I pack my things, I think back to the conversation with Ash in the hospital, I think I might let her in. I make my way over to her room and see she's alone.

"Hi Ashy."

"Hi, kiddo. You doing okay?"

"Less tired so I take it as a plus. You?"

"Packing. Ali and I have a sponsorship deal we need to close up so we are heading to San Francisco. Then we'll be off back to Florida. I'm thinking about how I am going to miss you"

"Don't do that to yourself. We'll see each other in the next competition. According to Vlatko, I am an exceptional player that he wants to start on the pitch as much as possible." I smile.

"Well you are an exceptional player." Ash says.

"What is it? You have that look," I question as I see Ash holding back.

"Okay don't get upset. So... I kind of went into stalker mode and searched up your school's academic calendar. It says your spring break is in a week. Do you have anything planned?" Ash approaches the conversation. I know what she's thinking.

"Ash, you know I can't go with you back to Florida."

"Why not, kiddo?"

"Ash, first off, I don't have money to buy a ticket. Second of all, I haven't been to Florida since I left for my fresh start. I don't think that's a good decision."

"But I will be with you every step of the way. Ali will be there.We'll keep you distracted. And you can play with my dogs. Just think of it as a change of scenery."

Flashback
"Ash, why don't you talk about her?" Me and Ash are sitting outside facing the beach behind the rehab facility.

"About who?" She questions.

"Taylor." As soon as she hears the name she snaps her head so she is facing me.

"Don't bring her up, Cameron."

"No. I don't understand why you make me open up about my problems and you just hold yourself back." I snap at her for shutting me out. "You won't get better if you don't let out what you are holding."

"Leave it alone." Ash says getting up.

"Oh so we are walking away from our problems." I clap in sarcasm. "You'll be here longer until you learn that you need to face things up front."

"You don't know anything, Cameron. You are seventeen. So shut up."

"Do I really not know? So tell me Ashlyn, why do you get defensive whenever someone brings up her name or the incident. Why do you think helping me is almost a parallel to how you wished to help her. How you protect me just because you couldn't protect her. You saw me and your mind is scared I am going to end up like Taylor. I see how you don't want me out of your sight. I see how the thought of leaving me behind in this place is killing you. But I am not Taylor. What happened to Taylor is not your fault. It wasn't your fault." I stood up and faced her. At this point she has tears streaming down her face and I know my words are finally getting through.

"Ash, it's not your fault. Her death is not on you and nobody thinks that so you shouldn't have to hold onto it."

"You don't understand. We grew up together. I don't know what happened. One night we go out for drinks and next thing I know she disappears. Her body was found two days later. She was tortured and raped to death. There was nothing I could do. I let her out of my sight and then bam. I lost my closest friend" At this point she is on her knees sobbing. This breakdown is a breakthrough. Ash will be okay once she has to leave her.
End of Flashback.