Chapter 61

Kelley O'Hara POV

We are about to hit the one week mark since Cameron has stopped talking. Lauren told me what her diagnosis for Cameron was, but it didn't help things. Today is the team's day off so a couple of us decided to head over to the Krashlyn household. When we got there, Ali and Ashlyn told us Cameron was sleeping and not to wake her up because she had a rough night so we sat in the living room.

"Is there any progress in her recovery?" I ask as we sit altogether.

Ali and Ash both shake their heads in sadness. "She's isolating herself more. Usually we can get her out of her room for meals and a movie but these past few days she just stays in her bed."

"I wish we could help her more." Sonnet says.

"She's dealt with so many things, this isn't fair to her. Her life isn't fair to her." I sigh and shake my head.

"I've never seen her in a state like this. It's scary." Ash tells us her fear. "I'm scared for her."

"We have to be positive. She's strong. She'll get over this hurdle." Pinoe mentions.

"I really hope so." Ash sighs. Ali grabs her arm in comfort.

Soon the doorbell rings, and Ash decides to answer it. We all can see her from our seats and find a man in a suit with a woman next to him holding a baby in a baby seat.

"Is this the home Cameron Santiago?" The man says.

"Um, if you want to say that. May I ask what this is regarding?" She says and Ali gets up to join her wife at the door.

"My name is Ellis Samer. I have a will from Abigail Garcia. Is Cameron here so we can discuss a little more?" He says.

"I'll grab her." I offer and head to her room. She snuggled in her blankets and I hate to wake her up, but I do it anyway. When she finally stirs, I begin to speak. "Cam, hi beautiful. I'm sorry to wake you up, but there's a lawyer here that wants to talk to you."

She just looks at me before turning over in bed.

"Cameron, it's in regards to Abigail." She turns back over and shoots up with a confused look on her face. "Clean yourself up and meet us in the living."

"She'll be out in a couple of minutes." I tell the lawyer walking back into the room.

"Can I get you guys anything?" Ali offers while we wait.

"No thank you." They both decline.

"You must be Cameron?" The lawyer says as he sees her walk into the room. "I'm sorry to be meeting you under these circumstances."

Cameron nods to his statements.

"I'll just go out and say this, but before Abigail died she wrote a will. She left everything in your name. Whatever money she had saved up is now yours. She also gave you full custody of her child if anything happened." He says and Cameron, as well as everyone in the room look shocked. "She said you'll take care of him and make sure he doesn't end up in the system."

I see tears form in her eyes as Ali rubs her back.

"Do you accept the inheritance and responsibility, Ms. Santiago?" I see her face asking for help as she turns to Krashlyn.

"If it's what she wanted, we can deal with it. It's your choice, Cameron." Ash reassures her.

"I know it's a big responsibility, but we support you. It's a lot but you can think about it." Ali tells her.

Cameron pulls out her phone and types something to show Ash and Ali.

"Don't worry. We are prepared." Ali responds. "It's okay."

Cam types another message and shows them.

Ash nods and tells the lawyer, "She'll accept."

"Okay. I have some paperwork that just needs to be signed and witnessed." He says opening his briefcase.

As he gets things ready, I see Sonnet and Pinoe playing with the baby.

"What's his name?" Sonnet asks.

"Mason Jacob Garcia." The woman answers. "He is just over a year old."

"Awww." They sigh.

"Okay, just sign her." He tells Cameron as she signs papers and then he turns to Ashlyn who witnesses all the signatures. And just like that, Cameron, who can barely hold it together is a guardian of a baby. The lawyer and lady leave and leave us with the baby.

"You want to hold him?" Pinoe asks Cameron holding Mason.

She hesitates but nods. As soon as she holds him, he yawns and falls asleep.

"Aren't you a natural." Sonnet says.

I see her start zoning out as she stares at the baby. Her breathing hitches and increases. I think Ali and Ash noticed too because soon Ash grabbed Mason while Ali dealt with Cameron.

"Cameron." Ali says kneeling in front of a still zoned out Cam. As Ali goes to wipe a tear off Cam's face, she flinches and stands up suddenly staring like a deer caught in headlights.

"Cameron." Ali tries again, but Cam just runs to her room and slams the door shut.

"How can you guys be okay with her basically adopting a child in her state of mind. She's not stable." I emphasize.

"It was her choice. We told her she could wait to make a decision." Ali tells me.

"She's not okay. She can't make rash decisions right now.Adding this will make things worse." I speak up.

Before they could rebuttal, a scream comes from Cameron's room and I rush in with Ali. We find Cameron sitting in the corner of her room with her head in her hands obviously crying and dealing with her emotions. I hate seeing her in this state.