Chapter 59

Kelley O'Hara POV

Cameron started running out of the woods without a word while the girls and I tried to catch up. We all soon reached the car and got in. Cameron starts the car and speeds off. She has this look that I can't read. There's no emotions on her face.

"Cameron, what's happening?" I was frightened by her change in demeanor. She just stays silent and nobody says anything. We all can feel something is off. All we saw was Cameron listening to something on her phone and then taking off.

Within a couple of minutes Cameron stops the Jeep on top of a bridge and runs out searching for something. She looks over the bridge hoping to find whatever it is.

"Call an ambulance!" She says before running her way down a path to the river. We all follow her while Lindsey calls 911.

When we reach the bottom, Cameron dives into the water without hesitation. Within two minutes of searching, she grabs someone out of water. It appears to be a young girl no older than 18 with black long hair. I jump in the water and help Cameron pull her out. Once we get her out of the water, Cameron checks for a pulse.

"No! No! Don't do this to me, Abigail!" Cameron shouts and starts CPR. I turn and whisper to Rose to call Ali and Ash.

Soon the bridge is flooded with red and blue flashing lights. Police, EMTs, and paramedics finally came a few minutes after pulling the girl from the water. Soon they take over for Cameron as I wrap my arms around her as we watch them try to save a life.

"This can't be happening." Cameron keeps repeating in shock. "No. No. No."

"It's going to be okay." I try to calm her down, but I know deep down that it isn't going to be okay.

"She can't die!" She sobs in my arms as the first responders try to save her.

"She's gone." We hear the paramedic say a few minutes later. "I'm going to call the doctor so we can pronounce her dead." The medic tells his colleagues.

"No, you can't stop!" Cameron fights to get out of my embrace and she does. She runs over and continues to do compressions on the girl's chest. The medic shook his head to me indicating nothing will bring her back. I start crying seeing Cam in such a vulnerable and hysteric state.

I go to her side and place my hands on hers as she continues to do compressions. "Cameron she's gone."

"SHUT UP!" She pushes me away. "She's NOT gone! She's going to be okay. She's going to be okay."

"Cammy." My voice cracks. I don't know what to do.

"Cameron, you have to stop." Sonnet tries to step in and help. "She's not coming back."

"Will everyone just shut up!" Cameron yells but I see her slow down her compressions. Sonnet goes from behind Cameron and grabs her wrists and brings them to Cameron's chest while pulling Cam's body into her body.

"She's gone, Cam. I'm so sorry but she's gone." Sonnet rocks my girlfriend as she fights to get out of the embrace. I'm betting it's the emotions and exhaustion that make Cameron too weak to get out of the hold. I place myself between Abigail and Cameron.

"She's not gone. PLEASE! I can't give up on her! No, let me go!" Cameron hysterically tries to get out of Sonnet's grasps.

"You got to stop fighting, Cammy," I place my hand on her cheek. We made eye contact for the first time since coming to this incident. My heart breaks as I see pain and tears in her eyes.

"Time of death, 2109 (9:09 pm)." We hear the medic say. A wail comes from Cameron as she hears his words. I didn't think my heart could break more but it does.

"Shhhhh, we got you." Sonnet continues to rock her hoping to calm her down a little. "We got you."

Soon I see Lindsey and Rose guide two more people to our location. When they come closer, I notice it's Ashlyn and Ali. They head straight to us. Cameron needs them right now.

Ashlyn replaces Sonnet and Ali takes my place on the ground.

"She's gone. I was supposed to protect her." Cameron cried out to them.

"We know. We know. We are so sorry, Cammy." Ashlyn says rocking Cam.

Soon the coroners come and take the body. The police have taken everyone's statements except Cameron who has entered a comatose state. They said to just come to the station in the upcoming days for her to give her statement.

"Do any of you have a sweater or jacket?" Ali comes up to me, Sonnet, Lindsey, and Rose. "Cameron is shivering and her wet clothes need to be taken off.

"Here." Lindsey takes off her sweatshirt. Ali gives her a thankful look before heading off back to Cameron. Soon they manage to get Cameron's wet T-shirt off and place the sweater on.

"Here's the key to the car we came in. It's Alex's so be careful. You guys can go. Ash and I got her now." Ali says coming back to us. "Thank you guys for being there for her."

We all just stand there not wanting to leave Cameron.

"Ali is right. Cameron has them right now. She needs them. Let's give them space." Sonnet says.

Ashlyn Harris POV

We got a frantic call from Rose saying she needed us. She sent us a location as we rushed out of the hotel. Thankfully Alex has her car here too, so we asked her and she quickly gave us the keys knowing something urgent was going on. Rose just explained how Cameron is trying to save a girl named Abigail from drowning. Putting two and two, I knew this wasn't going to be good. When Ali and I arrived we just saw tons of flashing lights and closed roads. We parked far from the bridge and made our way to Lindsey and Rose who were waiting for us.

As they guided us down a path, we could hear Cameron's sobs. This isn't good.

"She died." Lindsey said right before we reached the bottom.

"Cameron." I whisper at the sight in front of me. Sonnet is holding Cameron and Kelley is in front of her trying to calm her down.

Soon Ali manages to get the other girls to leave while we deal with Cameron. She has entered some sort of trance and is not answering any of our questions but we don't push her. All she does is repeat that Abigail is gone.

We somehow manage to walk her to the Jeep and into the back seat. I get in the back as well and just hold her in my arms. Ali drives us to our house instead of back to the hotel. Cameron shuffles and grabs her phone from the front seat cup holder before leaning back to her embrace shivering. She opens up her messages and clicks on Abigail's name. The first thing I notice is a long ass message, but as I sneak and read the first couple of lines, I noticed it's not any kind of message. It's a suicide note.

"Cameron, how about we read that later." But either she didn't hear me or she ignored me as she didn't move a muscle. She continued to read it and I felt an increase in the amount of tears dripping onto the arm holding her.