Chapter 8

Cameron Santiago POV

It's game day, babyyyyyyyy.

I'm so excited to start for the team against Brazil today. It's my debut. I got back to LA two days ago for training. It has been going well. Coach kept me as a midfielder, which I appreciate. I can feel the excitement in the air. It's our first friendly of the year.

"I BELIEVE!" Kelley O'Hara leads a chant in the locker room. While everyone repeats her words. Everybody is getting hyped.

"I BELIEVE THAT!"

"I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!" And we all repeat it together.

Soon we head over to the pitch and the clock starts as the first kick is sent. Brazil has the ball first. Their offensive game is strong. Within two minutes, Brazil almost scored three times. Our defense is slacking a little bit. Krieger finally is able to get the ball and sends it down the right side of the field. I sprint for it. As I come across a defender, I maneuver my way around with ease. I see Press at the top of the box a few yards in front of me. As I cross it over it lands perfectly for her to take one touch and get it into the goal!

"Press with a beautiful one touch, with a perfect assist from Santiago. Santiago's debut game is off to a great start!" I hear the announcer's over the loudspeakers.

I run and jump in Christen's arms. Half the team is surrounding us and celebrating the goal.

The rest of the game goes smoothly. Marta, on Brazil's team managed to score two goals on us. Right now, the score is 2-1. We are in our 50th minute of the game. The ball is crossed over to my side. I take it with no defenders in sight. As I make my way from the right to center of the field, I see loads of defenders coming my way. There's no other teammates who are free enough to pass to. I take my chances. I open my hips up and use my left foot to send the ball to the net. It hits the upper left corner just missing the fingertips of the goalie. Almost like the goal I shot at Naeher during camp. It's in. HOLY SHIT! I scored a goal on my debut. I scored a goal on the national team. HOLY SHIT! I just tied the game. Next thing I know the whole team is on top of me celebrating yet again.

A few minutes later, Press scores another goal assisted by Heath. We are now leading, but Brazil is getting frustrated. I see them start to get aggravated as they started to foul more. Everyone's so tired, but will not stop giving their all. Brazil has now possession of the ball, as they make their way down the field. I see Ash get off her line and rotate her body left towards the player. I come on the right side and see what the other players don't. As Ash moves to pressure and grab the ball from the player, another player is right by her side. I run to the goalie line and brace myself. The ball is chipped and it gets through the defenders. There's no chance Ash is going to be able to stop either. I jumped as high as I could on the goalie line and headed it out of the box. As I head it, I fall backwards into the net and feel the wind knock out of me.

"Cam! Fuck! Cameron, are you okay?" I hear Ash talk to me. "Hey look at me."

"Yea." I am able to breathe out. "Just got the wind knocked out of me."

"I think you just saved the game, kiddo." She says as she pulls me to my feet. I look up and see the crowd screaming and standing on their feet.

"At the right place at the right time I guess." I chuckle.

Coach Vlatko ends up subbing me out for Rapinoe minutes after that save.

"Wow! Beautiful debut, Santiago! What you did today, well I am impressed." He states. I get back to the benches and have everyone congratulating me. Wow this feels surreal. We ended up winning 3-2, and I have to say you can feel the energy explode when time is up. The crowd and team were jumping and celebrating.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

To celebrate our first international game win of the year, Vlatko reserved the team a place at this well-known restaurant in a fancy part of LA. So, we all went back to the hotel showered, changed, and got ready for the dinner. We took the bus to the restaurant, as it would fit us all. It was a short 15 minute drive.

Everything is going well. People are talking about the game and what they have been up to for the past few weeks. I love how this team is loving and supportive no matter what. They respect each other. On even a better note, the food is bomb. We devour whatever is in front of us. I'm stuffed but the waiter comes out with dessert and I can't resist.

A few minutes after eating and trying the dessert I feel my throat start to get scratchy. I drink some water hoping it will go away, but it's only getting worse. I feel my heartbeat faster as I know what is happening. It's happened a couple of times when I was younger. The familiarity of my throat closing. The gasping for air. The hives and itchiness. Fuck! How could I be so reckless? I can't even speak. It just sounds like I keep clearing my throat. My vision is getting blurry as I am not getting enough oxygen in my body. I can hear myself start wheezing. I turn over to O'Hara who is sitting on my left and just tap her. I guess it's my facial expression that gives it away, but she starts panicking. I feel the entire team's focus shift over to me.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

AN: I don't know what is making me to update this frequently. This story has taken over my life. I failed my exams, but here I am writing yet another chapter. Enjoy:)

Stay happy and safe,

AK