Chapter 31

Cameron Santiago POV

Logan somehow managed to create a distraction as she ran through the living room we were in. She jumped on the couch next to Jake and he was distracted for a millisecond. That's when I decided things needed to get done. I take the gun from my temple and shoot Jake. The first one hit him in his shoulder. He pulls up his gun ready to shoot me, and I shoot him again and again until I know he can't hurt us anymore. I just stare at his dead body still pointing the gun and I hear the front doors get kicked down. I see police officers surround us through my peripheral.

"Put the gun down!" I hear officers shout at me. "Ma'am we need you to put the gun down!"

"Wait! Wait, don't shoot. Let me talk to her!" I hear Ali's voice cut through the thoughts in my head. "Cammy, we are safe. It's over. The police are here." I see her stand up. I flinch when I feel her touch my arm. "Cameron. Sweetie, I need you to give me the gun. Just lower it. It's okay. It's okay. It's over. You're safe."

It's over? It's over. I think and as I think I feel my arms lower the weapon. That's when Ali snatches it quickly from me and hands it to the police officers. Before I know it, the cops have me on the ground and start handcuffing me.

"She's innocent!" Ali yells. "It was self defense. He broke into our house and threatened to kill us!"

The cop didn't listen to her and led her outside. I just complied. A few minutes later they guide me outside but as I exit the house, I take one final look at Jake's dead body. I killed him, but I feel no remorse. I feel nothing. I feel numb. The cops lead me to one of their cars, and I keep my head down as they place me inside it. I hear familiar voices saying my name, but I can't bear to look at them. I killed someone. They are probably so disappointed. I'm a murder.

Ashlyn Harris POV

"Where are you taking her?" I ask the cops.

"The police station about 10 minutes from here." The female officer from early tells me.

"She's innocent!" Ali tells the officer. "It was self-defense. She didn't mean to kill him."

"They have to process her and take her statement. Meet us there, we also have to take your statement as well." She tells Ali.

No. Cameron killed someone. How'd she even kill him? How'd Jake know where we lived? Why would he try to hurt Cam or Ali?  I have so many questions. We soon all get into my Jeep and head over to the station. Ali explained everything from the beginning to end during our ride over. Everyone is shocked and hoping Cameron is holding up okay.

Eventually we get to the station and Ali gives her statement. They are processing Cameron, but the officer from early said she won't be released until 48 hours from now. She also told me to get a lawyer for Cameron. None of this is okay.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
48 Hours Later

Cameron is finally being released today. The charges against her were dropped as her lawyer proved she was only defending herself. The girls and I have had no contact with Cameron at all. We were all losing our patience waiting to see her and have her come home. Speaking of our home, it was no longer a crime scene and we cleaned it up trying to erase everything pretending like it never happened. Unfortunately, everytime Ali steps into the living room I feel her eyes gaze over the room as if she's reliving the incident.

The girls and I decided that me and Ali would go pick Cam up. We thought it would be best. As we park outside the station I see reporters start hovering and questioning us.

"Ali are you okay?"

"Is it true Cameron killed someone?"

"Is Cameron Santiago a murderer?"

"What is the U.S. Soccer Federation going to do with her now?"

The reporters have many more questions. My question is where did they come from?

Ali and I finally manage to enter the station and wait for Cameron to be released. We don't wait long. I see her unmistakable hair and her eyes make eye contact with me. She gives us a weak smile and heads on over. All three of us embrace in a hug.

"Hi, kiddo." I say.

"Hi." She returns.

"How are you holding up?" I ask, staring at her face. She has large bags under her eyes and just looks exhausted.

"Very tired. I just want to go home." She says quietly.

"Let's head out then. Just to let you know there are reporters outside. Just keep your head down and don't answer anything." I say grabbing her left hand as Ali grabs her right. We head out and make our way to the Jeep.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Some of you guys are very good at reading details and figuring things out. Plus I don't think I have the balls to kill off the main character, I've grown too attached to Cameron.

Thank you for your support! And if any of you need anything just DM me.

Stay healthy and safe,
~AK