Chapter 58

Cameron Santiago POV

It's been a few weeks since Kelley and I decided to take our friendship to a relationship. It's been good. Real good. Camp is in Orlando this month, so it was nice being somewhere familiar. Kelley and I are also back to being roommates.

"Kelron!" Sonnet shouted as she knocked on our door. "I know you both are in there."

"What Sonnet?" I open the door to find her standing there.

"Show us around the city." She says. "Pleaseeeee."

I turn to check with Kelley. "I'll join you guys." Kels says.

"Let me get dressed and we'll meet in the lobby in 20 minutes." Sonnet nods and shuts the door.

"You're already dressed though." Kelley questions me.

"I know." I wink. "An excuse to be with you alone for an extra 20 minutes."

She grabs me from the waist and pulls me to the bed she's sitting on. "Aren't you clever?" She says before kissing me.

"Mhmm." We cuddle together in bed and let time pass. I shut my eyes as her presence relaxes me.

"Alright, let's get going." She breaks the long comfortable silence.

"We can raincheck, right?" I keep my eyes closed and shift closer to her body.

"Even though I would like nothing more than that, you are a person of your word." Kelley says knowing me so well.

"Fineee." I grumble and we grab our shoes ready to head out. I stop at Ashlyn's room to grab the keys to the Jeep and explain where I am going.

Soon we all get into the car and I drive off. I drove to many places but then soon stopped at a secret location.

"You guys can't tell anyone about this." They give me curious looks.

"We can't tell them we stopped at a dead end street." Rose snickers.

"Follow me." I get out and lock the doors before making my way through the woods.

"Are we trespassing?" Kelley gasps.

"Kelley, keep quiet and stay low. Just keep up." I'm quick to answer her.

"Is this even safe?" Sonnet and Linsey ask.

"Will you guys stop questioning me and just shut up." I snap as we start the incline. My feet jog up the path as if it's second nature. About 10 minutes later, we reached the point I wanted to show them.

"Oh my gosh!"

"This is so cool!"

"What is this place?"

I hear their comments as they look to where I took them. It's a secret location. I would come with my friends and smoke. The path I took takes us to a cliff where you can oversee the city. The sun is setting so the sight is breathtaking right now. Everyone is taking pictures as I stand and take it all in.

I feel hands wrap around my waist and a head lean on my shoulder.

"This is beautiful." Kelley says. "What you thinking about?"

"This place just holds a lot of memories." I reminisce. "It's been a while since I have been here."

We all sit by the edge and just take in the sight. I laid against Kelley as she stroked my hair. About a half hour passes when I realize it's getting dark.

"Alright we got to go." I say and wipe the dirt off my hands as I stand up. "It's getting dark and the cops are about to do their nightly checks up here."

"How do you know that?" Lindsey questions me.

"Me and my friends are the reason they check this place every night." I laugh and they all look at me like a criminal. "Relax, they just gave us a trespassing violation and maybe a marijuana possession charge."

"Oh my. Kelley your girlfriend is about to get us arrested." Sonnet exclaims.

"You guys need to relax and start moving." I shake my head and laugh.

As we start heading back to where the car is I check my phone as it vibrates. I have a missed call from Abigail and voicemail. A text from her comes through. As I open it, it's a significantly long message so I choose to listen to the voicemail first.

"Cammy. I just wanted to say how much I love you. I'll never forget how you and Jacob took me under your wings. You looked out for me when nobody did. I'm so proud of you and who you became. You became something, Cameron. It's time for me to go. The only person that would miss me here is you. This isn't your fault. You're the reason I was able to live this long. It's time I go be with Jacob and my parents. I love you forever and always, sis." Abigail says slurring her words over the voicemail.

 I hear the background noise and know exactly where she is. I pick up my pace and end up running without an explanation to the car as the others catch up not wanting to get lost. I need to stop her.