Chapter 34

Blair sat with Jason at the picnic table outside, watching in amusement as he fed Popchik some French fries that Maria had brought over from the diner downtown

Blair sat with Jason at the picnic table outside, watching in amusement as he fed Popchik some French fries that Maria had brought over from the diner downtown. The little dog happily scarfed down whatever Jason gave him, hidden partially under the table.

Blair hit him lightly on the arm, causing him to smirk up at her, "What? You do it."

"Yeah, but Uncle Jim has already given him plenty of hotdogs, Jay." She reminded him, laughing at the dog's happy face.

Jason narrowed his eyes before crossing his arms defiantly, "Fine. When he jumps up on your leg and gives you that begging look, I'll see you try to tell him no."

"I will." Then, not even two seconds after she replied, Popchik jumped on her leg, giving her a happy, yet pleading look. Blair sighed, dropping a French fry on the ground for him to eat.

Jason let out a noise that sounded like a cat being choked to death. When she looked up, she saw that he was biting back a laugh, "I thought you were gonna tell him no?"

"Shut up." She mumbled, unable to hide her amused smile.

Jim walked over to the picnic table, sliding a plate of burgers next to the plates of hotdogs and fries. Jason reached over to grab one as Blair slapped his hand away, shaking her head as Jim began to speak, "So my little girl is now 20, soon she'll be 21 and will be able to legally drink—"

"Not that I drink now, because that would be irresponsible." Blair smiled, batting her eyelashes innocently. Jason snorted next to her, thinking back to the time he had found her dancing on the kitchen table with a bottle of Jack in her hands. He wasn't the only one who didn't buy her innocent act as Harvey started laughing and Maria hid a smile behind her beer as Jim continued, "I just want you to know, that no matter how old you get or where you live or what you do, you'll always be my little girl and you'll always have a home here."

Blair smiled, tears stinging her eyes. She wanted to believe that was true, she did, but a part of her knew that if she told Jim who she really was and what she did at night, he wouldn't see it that way. She had always wanted to tell him, but always knew she shouldn't. Regardless of her emotions, she took what he said to heart, glad that she had come back for the night.

She wiped her eyes, shifting her gaze to the hotdogs in front of her, "Now you got me all in my feelings and I have to focus on the food so I don't start crying."

********

Blair got halfway through the burger she had made after her first hotdog before she looked over at Jason who was reaching for his fifth hotdog. She bit back a laugh as she shook her head, "Jesus Christ Jay, how much can you eat?"

"What? It's good food." He shrugged, sprinkling cheese on it. "It's not my fault you eat like a bird."

"I do not eat like a bird. You're just a pig." Despite her haughty tone, Jason saw that her eyes sparkled with amusement and a smile danced on her lips.