Salvation-12

Brooklyn's POV...

There'a a sudden banging on the bars of my cell.

Guard: Up!

Me: It's the middle of the night?

Guard: Get up!

Me: Alright, Alright.

I get out of the cot they have in the cell and walk to the bars. The guard opens the cell door and I walk out. He shoves me forward, almost knocking me over.

Guard: Move!

Me: Do that again, and I will fuck you up.

Guard: Move!

Me: I don't even know where I'm going.

Guard: I will guide you! Just go!

Me: That's not how you talk to a lady, but yeah, alright.

I walk out of the building with the guard close behind, wielding a rifle. I could take him out now if I wanted to. That would be bad idea in the end though.

We walk for a while before we finally arrive at an under construction part of the wall. There are guards posted all around, and people working on the wall. They look miserable and malnourished.

Guard: Get to work!

Me: What?

Guard: Get to work!

He shoves me again. I go to punch him, but someone stops me.

Unknown: Let it go.

The guard laughs and walks away.

Me: Get off me.

I shrug the random woman off me.

Unknown Woman: You're new. I'll show you what to do.

Me: What is this?

Unknown Woman: They keep us around just so we can do their dirty work. We've built this whole wall. Some of us have been here from the start. It's slavery.

Guard: Shut it!

Unknown Woman: Just follow my lead.

She walls over and starts attaching some things together. I'm not sure what she's doing, but I copy her.

Unknown: No wait! Please!

Guard: You make mistakes all the damn time and barely ever work!

Unknown: I'll do better!

Guard: Everyone pay attention!

I look over to see a small man on his back. He had a hand outstretched to protect himself.

Guard: Clumsiness, and laziness will not be tolerated!

He holds out his hand and another guard hands him a whip.

Me: That's cliché.

Unknown Woman: Don't let them hear you say that.

The whip cracks down on the man. He turns over screaming and holding his face.

The guard brings the whip down again, and again. The man's screams fill the night.

Guard: Anyone who is useless, does not deserve to live! Especially within these walls!

He aims his rifle and shoots the man. His screams suddenly ceasing.

Guard: Don't be him!

He walks back to his post and everyone turns back to what they were doing.

Me: Does that happen often?

Unknown Woman: Yes. To us and the citizens. Anyone they don't like, can't work, or are dangerous are dealt with.

Me: Even the citizens?

Unknown Woman: Yeah. It's awful. They've already killed a few people from that group you came in with.

Me: Who?

Unknown Woman: I don't know. I've overheard a few talking about some more of them. Two are missing limbs.

Me: Well shit, why?

Unknown Woman: There's a guy who they think is unhinged, and they don't know much about the girl, but she's missing a leg. Also a little boy, two teens, the leader. I don't know if they'll let any of them live.

Me: Oh God. I have to warn them.

Unknown Woman: There's no way. They'll kill you before you get away.

Me: Not if I wait for the perfect opportunity.

Unknown Woman: I guess you could do that.

Me: Thank you.

Unknown Woman: Uh hu. I wish good luck. You'll need it.