Lapse-10

It's morning now. The sun is shining brightly through the windows. Your shoulder hurts pretty bad, but you've fought through worse wounds.

Clem is laying on you like usual. Her head gravitates to the same spot every time you lay down. You'd like to get up, but she's had a rough time. It's better to let her sleep.

There's no one else in the van. They must have thought it best to stay out. Clementine wanted privacy anyway.

------------------------

You've been up for probably close to an hour, staring at the ceiling, before Clem wakes up. She stretches and lays there for a few more second before rising to see if you're awake.

You: Morning.

She rubs her eyes, yawns, and stretches again.

Clem: Morning.

You: Did you sleep well?

Clem: No, not really.

You: You worry too much.

She stares at you for a second before speaking.

Clem: I care about you. That's what happens.

You: Well, my luck puts me in bad situations, but always pulls me out.

Clem: It's going to run out one day.

She looks depressed even though you're still here.

You: I've told you. You wearing that,

You raise your hand up and put your index finger on the keychain hanging from her neck.

You: is good luck for me.

She gives you a weak smile.

Clem: You shouldn't be moving your arm like that.

You: Eh, I'll be fine as long as it doesn't reopen.

Clem: Does it not hurt?

You: Of course it hurts. But, I've had to suffer through worse.

Clem: That doesn't make it hurt less.

You: Gotta do what we gotta do.

Clem: You don't have to. We have other people here to do things.

You: I've been out of action for three weeks. I want to go out and do things.

Clem: There's not much to do anyway.

You: I'm sure I could find something.

She gives you her best dirty look. You've been getting too many of these.

You: Clem-

Clem: You're not.

You sigh.

You: If something comes up-

Clem: No.

She looks like she's about to cry again.

You: We've had this kind of conversation over and over.

Clem: Because you get yourself hurt real bad every time something comes up. When you went to the Olympians, you disappeared for months. Salvation, you were next to a bomb and I had to feed you for a week. You just barely got out of a tornado alive, and then got shot with nothing to patch it.

You look down. She's not wrong.

You: That's just how my life has gone. For, what, 10 years now?

Clem: Let some other people risk their lives.

You: I can't do that.

You look up at her and she looks away. She's clearly upset. You don't know what to do.