4

Timothy roughly enters the managers office. He doesn't like feeling the fool and he was  feeling that way right now. "Mr. McGavity, how can I help you?" It's almost never a good thing to have the owner of the company come see you personally.

"Calm down, Prescott, nothing bad or ominous is going on. I just wanted to congratulate you personally for bringing your department in line. I also wanted to know how come it's taken you so long to do it? But first, I want to know about Miss Lancaster." Timothy is starting to calm down and is now curious about the female he failed to intimidate.

"Did she do something, sir? It's very unlike her if she did. She's a damn hard worker. She comes in, starts on work and only stops when her friend makes her stop for lunch. She rarely even takes breaks for water or the rest room. She finishes her work then helps others do theirs. Honestly, she's the one that has increased the productivity of this department. She'll let people do their important projects and she'll take their other work so they don't get bogged down. She's not terribly social, but is kind to every one. They all accept her disability and they don't cause her problems for it.

"I've set her up for promotions multiple times, but she was always denied." Prescott says more than a little angrily.

This grabs Timothy's attention. He likes to reward his workers and finding out that Miss Lancaster deserves to be rewarded by a promotion and be denied makes him angry. "Why is that?" Timothy says softly trying hard to control his anger.

Prescott goes over to his filing cabinet and takes out a file. Opening it up he hands it to his boss. "Because of this, sir." Staring him in his face is Miss Lancaster with her hair off her face. The birth mark very obvious. Timothy was furious that a perfectly capable person was being held back because of something physically wrong with her looks. Not her abilities, just her looks.

"If it was up to me, she would be your personal secretary or even your Personal Assistant. She's that good. She's over qualified to be down here, but they wouldn't even consider her up there because then she'd be too visible. Image is everything. I've seen several far less deserving people be promoted over her. Yet, she never complains, just gives every one a smile and congratulates them before getting back to work."

Timothy sits staring at the photo before him, lost in thought. Now he truly feels like an ass. Not only has he stepped into it about her disability, but she has to deal with the physical problems such a birthmark would cause her. Then he looks up sharply to Prescott. "Are there any other problems with her besides the birthmark and the hearing?" He wants her to help him, but not here, not with this part of his life.

"She's blind in her right eye. I believe that's why she keeps her hair over her face, just as much as to cover the birthmark." Prescott says sadly. He admires Pimpernel Lancaster a great deal. 

Timothy nods and looks back over the file and as he reads it, he's once more furious at how under utilized Pimpernel is.

"Send her home. I don't want her back here until Monday. She's to take today, tomorrow and the weekend off with sick days. She's to leave as soon as she's finished with the current project that she's working on. Every one can take the rest of her work load for her. She looks like she's about to pass out." Timothy orders Prescott before leaving. He takes out his phone and seething talks to some people about using those that are qualified over those that are beautiful. Although, he finds Pimpernel Lancaster to be beautiful, even with the birthmark. Then he calls and has payroll give her a large bonus. She didn't ask for anything, but she deserves a great deal with all that she's done for him.

He's not in a very good mood once he is back in his office. Those waiting to talk to him about the presentation they are giving, look at him nervously as he enters. His angry aura isn't visible, but they all feel it.

"Go over the presentation from the beginning Powell, you will be doing the presentation today." Timothy orders as he sits behind his desk.

Powell sits up straighter, fixes his tie and then squeaks out, "Me?"

Timothy snorts out, "Yes, you, but you better not talk like that or you'll lose the confidence of the board. If you can sell this to them, then you will have a thousand dollar bonus in your next paycheck."

With those words Timothy makes sure his voice is clear before he starts the presentation. By the time he is done Timothy is nodding. "Acceptable, do that again and you shouldn't have any trouble. You all have done a wonderful job. Now, it appears that it's time to go."

The people in the room quickly and quietly gather their things and follow their boss out of the office. They all crowd into the same elevator and ride down with Timothy. He is too busy thinking about the secretary from the pool and hopes that she is already on her way home. She truly didn't look good earlier.

Timothy thinks that he's hallucinating when he sees her in front of him just now leaving the building. He's a little irritated, he figured that she would have left some time ago. His irritation leaves as he notices that she's starting to shake. Then she stops still before collapsing. 

He rushes forward and manages to catch her just before her head hits the floor. 

There is silence in the busy lobby as all the people look on in astonishment at the sight. "Call an ambulance!" Timothy yells. Pimpernel's heart is beating erratically and is getting weaker. Timothy curses silently. If there weren't so many damn people he could give her his blood, but there are too many witnesses.

"It's on it's way sir," one of the receptionists tells him.

But it's not soon enough. Pimpernel's heart stops beating.

"Shit!" Timothy says and starts chest compressions. He's much better at killing humans than he is at saving them. Although, he hasn't killed any for some time.

The sirens are soon heard and the EMT's gently move him out of the way as they take over life saving care. They tell him where they are taking her. Nodding he goes back to his team. 

"Powell, you will be doing the presentation without me. Please, extend my apologies and let them know that there was a life threatening emergency calling me away."

"Yes, sir," Powell looks a little green but straightens up with the responsibility his boss is putting on him.

With that, Timothy walks out the doors making a phone call as he goes. "I need the emergency contact information for Pimpernel Lancaster."

"Sir, we don't have any listed. I can have the hacker check into it if you would like?" The male voice on the other end of the line says softly.

"Do that and tell them that it's urgent." Timothy all but yells as he gets into his car. He then tells his driver which hospital to go to.