5

Pimpernel moans. She doesn't want to open her eyes, it feels like this migraine is a real winner. Then she hears movement near her and the sounds of beeping. She opens her eyes trying to figure out where she is when she notices Mr. McGavity sitting next to her bedside.

The bed and the beeping machinery clues her into where she is, now she just needs to learn why. "Where am I?" Pimpernel asks and runs her tongue around her mouth noticing a faint taste of iron that reminds her of blood. But she can't for the life of her figure out why she would taste blood in her mouth.

"Highland General, do you remember what happened?" Timothy responds sitting up and leaning forward looking at her intently.

"Last thing I remember was being sent home after finishing the report I was working on when you interrupted me earlier. I was walking out of the building and the rest is blank." Pimpernel says scrunching her face up as she tries to remember what happened next.

Before Timothy can say anything a doctor comes in. "Ahh, Miss Lancaster, it's good to see you awake. We weren't sure that you would wake up again. We have the results of the MRI." The doctor says not really paying attention to how his words are affecting his patient.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Pimpernel demands. What MRI? And why the hell is she in a hospital and why does her chest hurt like hell?

"Sorry, of course you don't know. You passed out on your way out of work, just in front of your boss here. He saved your life by starting chest compressions before the ambulance arrived." The doctor explains and so Pimpernel now knows where and why she is here and why her chest hurts like hell.

"When you arrived you remained unconscious and so we ran several tests and did a scan of your brain." The doctor says and is more hesitant now. He had noticed Timothy and realized that this is delicate medical information and should only be told to the patient.

When the doctor motions over to the man sitting at her bedside, Pimpernel says, "You might as well say whatever you have to say. He's my boss and I have no other contacts."

This makes Timothy feel that he's done something very wrong about contacting her family. Perhaps he shouldn't have searched for them like he had. 

"As you may or may not be aware, some birthmarks can turn cancerous. The one on your face has actually done so. The cancer has spread through your eye and into the brain. There are tendrils of cancerous growths showing up all over the brain and possibly extending throughout the body.

"I'm sorry to say, but from what we can determine, the cancer is too far advanced for surgery and the medicines we have for cancer aren't likely to be effective given the location of the cancer."

Timothy looks hard at the doctor before turning his attention to Pimpernel. He's shocked at how calmly she's taking the news that was basically a death sentence. "I see, doctor. How long do you think I have to live?"

"The absolute most? A month. But as far advanced as this appears, I would give it days, perhaps weeks. Of course, you are welcome to have a second opinion and I can bring in the top oncologist to talk to you if you wish."

Pimpernel merely smiles, "No, that won't be necessary. Thank you, doctor." 

Timothy listens to her and can't take his eyes off of her as she speaks. He's never met any one so sanguine about dying. Ever. And he's lived for a very long time, one way or another.

Only once he was sure the doctor was gone does he speak. "I have a way, two ways, actually, that can help you." Timothy moves uncomfortably. He really doesn't know Pimpernel, just her efficiency at work. What he's about to do could back fire on him, but then again, she is dying already. 

When Pimpernel looks at him he can see how incredulous she is and forestalls her from speaking. "Just let me explain, hold all questions and comments until I'm finished and I'll do my best to answer them. Okay?"

Pimpernel gives him a guarded look but nods her head.

Timothy takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. "Okay, the thing is, there isn't a thing I can do medically. I know nothing about medicine and only have the basic first aid and CPR learned. Not even any of my companies have any thing to do with the medical field. So, no, that is not how I'm going to help you."

Timothy gives her a small smile, "I'm not finished yet, please have patience." He takes another breath. "I am a vampire and my blood can, if not heal you, it can at least ameliorate the effects of the cancer. Send it into remission as it were. In order to do that you would need to move into the estate where I live. Then I would have you drink from me each day. I would have you work for me at the house. I want you to organize the vampire side of my life like my business life has been organized. You would be my PA on that."

Pimpernel keeps her face locked into an expression of polite listening, but that's all he can tell. He can't tell if she is receptive or hates the idea.

"The second option I have for you would clear up the cancer, likely give you back your eyesight and most likely would also remove the birthmark from your face as well. It would likely leave your hearing the same as it was before, but it would be more bearable."

This time Pimpernel snorts, "How would you work that miracle?"

"I would turn you," Timothy finally just blurts it out, not having found any other way to say it.

"Turn me, as in making me a vampire like you claim to be?" There is disbelief in her voice but also something else, something Timothy is unable to figure out.

At his nod, Pimpernel replies immediately. "No. I thank you for being willing to do that for me, but I have no interest in living longer than my allotted time on Earth. When the cancer kills me shortly I will have no regrets."

Timothy stares at her, he's never heard of a human turning down the chance of being cured of a disease and living for centuries longer. He himself has lived over five centuries.

"Just think of how much longer you will live, all that you can accomplish."

"I already consider life hell. My definition of hell would be staying young while all those around me grow old, marry have children, who then grow old, marry and have children. I have no desire to see an endless round of watching people I know live lives and then pass on. 

"I have lived a full life, even if I never will have children. Like I said, I have no regrets. I will be content to pass on." There is a small smile as she is overcome with darkness once more.

As her heart stops, Timothy takes action. He just hopes that she will forgive him for this. It is against the rules to turn someone with out their permission and it could get him killed if she doesn't forgive him. 

He leans down and after drinking her blood, forces some of his down her throat. He most certainly wasn't expecting her to go into convulsions. By the time the medical personnel show up due to the alarms going off, the process is finished.

Shortly after that the doctor pronounces her dead.

"Doctor? She told me she doesn't have any family, I would like to give her a funeral. How can I go about claiming her body?"

After the doctor gives him the information he heads out of the hospital, on his phone making calls.

The first thing he has to do, and the one he dreads the most, is going back to the office and announcing her death to her coworkers.