41

"Are you ready to go, Melissa?" Timothy asks coming into the room. "The jet is just about ready for us."

"Ye-agghh," Melissa screams in agony as she faints.

Her screams bring the others running into the room. Timothy looks over and notices that Tad isn't there. "Where the hell is Tad?"

"He said that he had an errand to run and wouldn't be more than twenty minutes. He should be getting back any minute now." TJ tells the fuming vampire looking up at him then back down to keep from attracting Timothy's ire.

"Travis, find him. He's been attacked." Timothy tells the oldest of the vampires besides himself. Travis doesn't need to be told twice, he races out of the house. Travis thinks he knows where to look for Tad. He went to the cemetery to say goodbye to his stepfather, Pimpernel's father. He hadn't been able to go earlier because of the hassle of moving and getting his school transferred over.

As he thought, he comes up to the body crumpled up on the ground. "Shit." There is barely a pulse and although he can tell that Melissa has sent her energy there is very little likelihood of Tad making it. He gives Tad some of his blood, although he has little healing capability yet. Even a little is better than none.

"Leave him, it'll be better for him to die." An ominous voice says from the shadows.

Travis gently sets Tad back down. Then he gets into a defensive position. He's going to have to take this vampire down and take him down quickly if Tad is going to have any chance of survival. "You attacked someone under the protection of a council member and an elder. You shouldn't have done that."

The vampire sneers at Travis, "The council holds us back. We are the rightful rulers of this world. They are going to be destroyed and we will rule over the humans. Not those insignificant humans." Travis hides his shock and distaste of the vampires words. He smells blood as well coming from the vampire. Good, Tad got in at least one painful wound.

"Staying hidden is the way we survive. We are few, the humans are many. It wouldn't take much for the humans to purge us all out of existence, any other thought is foolish. Just as foolish as you hurting Timothy McGavity's protected, not to mention that he is under the protection of Trevor or whatever name he's going by now, elder. You and your buddies are dead men walking at this time." Travis goads the vampire into making the first attack.

That's all it took for the other vampire to do so. 

Travis might be a new born vampire, but he's had extensive training in fighting and martial arts. First as he was growing up and then latter in the military and police training. Putting that into practice with his abilities as a vampire and the older vampire had no chance against him.

As soon as he was sure that the other vampire was dead, Trevor gathered up Tad and raced back to the house.

"Melissa, you need to wake up. If you don't turn Tad soon you will lose him forever." Melissa hears the words but it takes her time to understand their meaning. They are repeated over and over to her many times until she finally understands.

The terror the words brings her makes her wake up, "Where is he?"

"Right next to you, love. You must turn him soon or he will be dead forever. I know you didn't want to turn him when he is this young, but the choice is no longer there. Either he becomes a vampire or he becomes a corpse to bury. Your choice." Timothy knows that he's being rather harsh, but Melissa is still a bit confused and needs to understand the importance of her acting immediately.

Horror suffuses her face as the meaning hits her, finally. She turns to find Tad at her side. She looks to Timothy to drink his blood. "He's lost too much already. It won't be necessary for me to drink it. Go ahead and start the change."

Pain flashes in Melissa's eyes as she does just what Timothy instructs her to do. A short time later, the venom is released and Melissa collapses next to Tad. "Was I in time?" Melissa asks exhaustedly.

"Yes, I think so. However, you are aware that even of those in the best of situations don't always make the turn. All we can do now is wait. Stay by his side and sleep. It will help you both as he transitions to have you near him." That and Timothy doesn't think he'd be able to take Melissa out of there without causing a lot of harm to her and others.

Melissa nods, too tired to speak. She lies next to Tad and falls asleep holding him to her.

"What do you really think, Timothy? Will he make it?" Travis asks anxiously once they are out of the room and away from the door.

"I think Tad and Melissa are incredibly close. I think it will kill Melissa if Tad doesn't make it. I think Tad will fight tooth and nail to stay with Melissa. If it were any one else, I would say that he didn't have a good chance, with them, I give them even odds."

Travis sighs, "I should have ignored the other vampire and gotten him back here sooner. I'm sorry, I didn't do that."

"You had no choice. Had you tried to leave with Tad I believe the other vampire would have attacked you and possibly killed you both. You did the only thing you could do. You didn't have the time to subdue without killing and it was the fastest way to get back here. Cliff assures me that he'll have the other vampire dealt with so there won't be any repercussions on you."

"I can't work for the humans any longer, not knowing that I killed someone in cold blood like that."

"You killed in self defense, not cold blood, but if you wish I'll have you join my vampire security. I could use you there. As a matter of fact, I like that idea a great deal. I think I'll make you Melissa's main body guard and give you other duties around that." Timothy hums to himself. Yes, he likes that idea a great deal.

"Why are you giving Melissa a body guard, Timothy?" TJ says having heard that part of the conversation before making himself known.

"It's too dangerous right now for her to be out on her own. She doesn't like the fighting and really doesn't know much. She has her psychic abilities but I don't want her to use them unless she absolutely must. Besides it will be best to keep her child near her to help strengthen their bond. Although there really isn't much bond with you all."

Timothy is jealous of their other bonds though. He wishes he had, had the time to forge a bond like that with her before he had been forced to turn her. Then maybe he wouldn't have messed up like he had so badly.