22

"Melissa, I know that you are Pimpernel. Please, tell me, how could that be? I have no doubt that the story Mr. McGavity told us is true, but you are my sister. Or at least you and I were raised as siblings." Tad gives a bitter laugh. "Oh, hell, who am I kidding, you were the only mother I ever knew.

"You have no idea what TJ had to tell me to convince me to turn against you, or at least show that I had turned against you. He had recorded some conversations between Sarah and Marissa that were pretty brutal. I was far too young to understand it all, but I understood enough to know that they would have used me to get to you. They weren't going to just physically hurt you, they were going to hurt me in front of you then hurt you."

Tad looks down at the ground as they walk, "I know, it sounds rather self serving. I guess it was in it's own way, but honestly, I was more scared about how it would hurt you. I knew that you would be hurt by me turning against you, but, oh shit." Tad stops talking and just wipes the tears away. 

"Sorry, you probably think that I truly hated  you. I would cry myself to sleep every night, for years afterwards. I had to do it, but it slayed me every time. I know that TJ and I became closer after that, but, it didn't, it wasn't the same. I wanted you and couldn't have you even though you were so close to me. I was both angry that you left and happy for you. I knew that you had been counting down the days until you could leave and I dreaded them. At least when you were there I knew you were close and even though I was mean to you, if I needed you, you would have been there for me.

"I don't blame you for refusing to acknowledge me or TJ, if I was you, I'd likely not have even spoken to us. That you did that much for us, I thank you. 

"Why were you in such a hurry to leave the house? It wasn't because you needed to be somewhere or you'd have left with Mr. McGavity." Tad stops and so Melissa does as well.

Tad looks at her and shakes his head. It couldn't be possible, could it?

Melissa looks at him in amusement. She can hear each thought as it passes through Tad's mind. He's fighting with himself as he comes to the realization that she is a vampire. 

By then they are at the park.  Melissa goes over to the swings and sits on one. "Remember when I used to take you to the park that was near our house? You used to love the swings."

Tad looks at her with dawning horror. 

"I would place you on one and you'd hang on so tight, but then beg me to go higher. Always you'd beg me to push you higher. You never saw the danger of falling, just the thrill of flying that the swings gave you. 

"You are intelligent, Tad. You must have inherited that from your father, although him being stupid enough to cheat on his wife with both your mother and our sister shows a decided lack of intelligence on his part. But I know for a fact that Marissa wasn't all that bright.

"I know that you always did well in school, at least you did when I was here. I would fully expect it to continue even after I left. To be honest, I didn't think you or TJ or any of the family would miss me. Hunt me down to get revenge perhaps, but not miss me." Melissa stops rocking the swing back and forth and looks at her brother. 

"You are right. I am the person that you knew as Pimpernel. However, Pimpernel Lancaster died three weeks ago, actually a little over three weeks ago. Cancer had spread throughout her body, there was no way to stop her death.

"I think you figured out how I am here." Melissa looks at Tad and just waits for his response.

"They are real then?" Tad knows better than to say the words out loud where others could hear him.

"Yes, we are. This is a conversation that should be spoken indoors. You've been away from me for too long, Melissa." Timothy says startling Tad.

"Shit, where the fuck did you come from?" Tad says, his heart racing.

Timothy smirking replies, "Your house. You know that since you left there just a short time ago."

Melissa looks at him with a question on her face. "Yes, to both and he would like to speak with you further and there is a decision that now needs to be made between you all." Timothy tells them both before going to Melissa's side.

Tad swallows rather heavily. He follows at their side not willing to let them be at his back. Well, he's not willing to let Timothy at his back. He still fully trusts Pimpernel, no matter what name she goes by now.

"So, how is he?" Melissa asks just to break the silence.

"He's fine, just a bit overwhelmed by all that he just found out. A bit like this young one, I'd imagine. You told him?"

Melissa snorts. "As if, I wouldn't tell my family something like that. I wouldn't put my brothers in the cross hairs and my other so called family would use it against me. There is no way I would want any of that to happen."

"I won't say anything, Melissa." Tad says quietly once Melissa stops walking.

"I know, Tad, or I wouldn't have confirmed it for you. I would have just ignored your words and made you think that it couldn't be possible."

This time it's Timothy that snorts. "I'm not so nice. I would have made sure that you couldn't say anything."

Timothy looks at Tad when his heart starts racing. "And no, I don't mean that I would kill you. Killing is frowned upon unless absolutely necessary. In that case it wouldn't be. There are other ways of dealing with people finding out inconvenient things. We will talk more about that inside." Timothy says opening the door for them and making sure that they aren't followed. The last thing they need is for people to find out about vampires. Then his life really wouldn't be worth much.