6

Timothy walks slowly back to the secretary pool. He meets Prescott on his way, "Sir, is everything alright?" Other than earlier that day it had been years since Timothy had been to the secretary department.

"No, I need to have a talk with all your workers. What I have to say can't wait." Nor could it be just told over an impersonal email. If he's correct, many if not all of the secretaries admire and like or rather admired and liked, Pimpernel. They deserve to hear the news in  person.

"Can I have everyone's attention please?" Prescott says and immediately the sounds of typing stop and Timothy can see every one looking towards Prescott.

"Mr. McGavity has an announcement to make." Prescott then motions for Timothy to step forward.

Timothy fights down the feeling of panic that wants to overcome him. Something he hasn't felt since he was turned more than five centuries earlier. "As many of you know, Miss Lancaster was sent home early due to being sick. Some of you might even have heard that she collapsed on her way out." At the sound of gasps and murmuring he guesses that the rumor mill hadn't gotten to them yet.

"I was there when it happened and although we were able to get her heart started once more," more gasps and he could hear a few sobs as some of them figured out what he was going to say next. He looks at the friend that had helped her earlier when he stood in front of Miss Lancaster's desk. 

The girl was white faced and looked herself to be about to pass out and she was shaking her head and mouthing the word no.

Not wanting to leave them in suspense he continues. "She had fallen into a coma. After running some tests and scans it was determined that she had brain cancer. She woke up briefly and we were able to talk.

"She was very thankful to have worked here and was praising her colleagues. She told me that she thought you were all wonderful and had a great deal of potential." He had actually read that from her file on one of her performance reviews.

"When she was told that she has very little time left, she was sad that she might not get the chance to say goodbye.

"The doctor's weren't even sure that she would wake up and so were happy that she had, but they then gave her the news and left.

"Shortly after that, Miss Lancaster once more closed her eyes and fell asleep. After trying to revive her once more they pronounced her dead." At these words there were a great many sobs heard.

"I will be organizing a memorial for her, since she didn't have any family, for Monday. You are all invited, but in order to attend you must have your work caught up and all projects turned in on time. There will be a company email listing details.

"I know many of you were friends or at least friendly with her, I only met her this morning and so I don't know her well, but I know that she was a kind and generous person. She will be missed. I am sorry for your loss."

Since he feels awkward he doesn't stay for long, but before he leaves he goes to Marjorie. "I would like for you to write an obituary for the paper. I know that she considered you a friend. I will email you the information we have, but it isn't much. Please, do your best to make it nice."

"I would be honored to do it, sir." Marjorie says even as she's dabbing tears from her eyes with a tissue. "I'm glad you were there when she passed, I knew that she didn't have any family and so at least she wasn't alone when she died."

Timothy says something that he hopes is sympathetic and leaves as quickly as he can. He really doesn't like these kinds of situations.

Now he needs to move fast to keep her lawyer from putting her will into probate or there is no doubt that she will hate him forever for what he did.