53

Karen stands nervously waiting for the others to join her. She's never been to a high profile event like this before and is worried that she'll do something wrong. She's spent the day learning proper etiquette for eating and what not. What is she going to say to the muckity mucks that will be attending that night?

"Relax, most of them won't even see us. Although we won't be going as security, they won't see us as their equal either. Some of the moneyed people are nice like Melissa, but most are uptight snobs and would walk right through you if you don't move out of their way." Travis tells her coming to her side and taking her hand to help calm her.

Since the night before Karen has begun to feel more like this was a home and not just a place she was required to stay at. With Travis accepting her many of the other vampires did as well, and the humans started talking to her.

Travis is a favorite among the humans and they will often follow his lead even over Timothy's or Melissa's. But they will follow Tad's as well and with both of them accepting Karen, she actually feels safe.

"Thank you, Travis," Karen says looking up at the vampire at her side, and she tries to smile but it doesn't go very far.

"Hey, it's alright, you've been well trained by the best there is. You belong there, if you believe that then those around you will believe that as well. Timothy wants you there, Melissa wants you there and I want you there. Therefore you belong." Karen can't help the giggle at Travis's absurd assertion.

Travis smirks at her, "There that's better." He gives her a small kiss. That turns into a larger and deeper kiss.

"Very nice you two, but we've both already fed. Now where are those brothers of mine?" Melissa says stopping in front of them with an irritated scowl on her face.

Tad and TJ take up spots behind her and both kiss her on the neck to mollify her irritation. "We're here, sorry we're late, girl troubles," TJ says after Melissa lets her irritation go away.

Melissa turns to face her brothers, "You have girl troubles?"

It's Tad that answers her, "Yeah, seems that one has food poisoning and the other her father was in a serious car accident. She had to cancel to be with him, he's her only family and there is some doubt as to whether he'll survive or not."

Timothy comes up to the group as Tad explains and raises his eyebrow. "This accident happen here?"

"So she said, but I couldn't find any mention of that bad of an accident happening. I hacked in to the hospital records and there is no one by her father's name as a patient there. I don't like being lied to, especially about something like this. If she didn't want to come all she had to do was tell me no." Tad says more than a little petulantly and with a great deal of irritation.

"So we had to compromise and have a couple of the vampire girls come. They should be ready soon," TJ says smoothly.

"Huh," Melissa isn't happy and the boys all knew she wouldn't be, but they couldn't go without dates. Besides the more vampires there the more protection Melissa has, Timothy isn't upset at all.

"With the other females going you won't need me to go then," Karen says softly in the silence that followed TJ's announcement.

"Please, don't leave me, Karen. You are to be my guard full time, you need to get used to these events." Melissa tells her softly but urges her to stay, but she won't force her to.

"I would prefer having you there, besides, Timothy wouldn't like wasting the money if you don't go. There isn't time for another to take your place. He wants more protection for Melissa, not less."