Chapter 6

Zayn's POV:

As I looked over at the clock, I realized it was already 1 am, and I couldn't fall asleep. Despite lying in bed for the past two hours, my mind was still racing with thoughts. I knew that all the boys were probably asleep by now, so I decided to get up and walk to the balcony. 

The view was absolutely stunning. The sky was filled with stars, and the city below was illuminated with lights. It was New York, the city that never sleeps, and yet I couldn't help but think about Em. It felt like she had taken up residence in my mind. 

I felt restless and decided to step out and get some fresh air. Maybe it could help me clear my mind and find some peace.

As I reentered my room, I casually grabbed my jacket from the chair and collected my phone and headphones. One of the benefits of living on my own is that I can move around freely without the fear of disturbing anyone. 

I made my way into the living room and retrieved the key that was allocated to each of us for our suite. As I stepped out of the suite, I closed the door gently and locked it before turning to leave. 

However, I paused for a moment when I heard the sound of the doorknob clicking. I scanned the area to ensure that no security personnel were present, as I didn't want any trouble.

I quickly threw up my hood to cover my face, put on my headphones and turned up the music. I hopped in the elevator and was down on the ground floor in a jiffy. 

 I beelined it through the lobby, and thankfully the receptionist didn't notice me since she was wrapped up with a customer. Once I was out of the hotel, I felt alive again. I walked to the left of the footpath, keeping my head low and hands in my pockets. The last thing I needed was a fan spotting me. Everyone else seemed to be happy-go-lucky, hanging out with their friends, family, or significant others. 

 As I walked, my mind started wandering. It hit me that since I left my room without telling anyone, Paul's job could be on the line. But honestly, at the moment, I just wanted some breathing room. I thought about telling the guys that the motorcyclist we saw earlier was Em, but then again, I didn't want them to fret about me. I've been obsessing over her so much lately that I've been taking it out on them.

So, I was lost in my thoughts, and then out of nowhere, I tripped over my untied shoelaces. I made a face, bent down to tie them and when I got up, I realized I had strayed away from my hotel. I found myself in a dark alley that was filled with big dumpsters and trash all over the place. There was nobody around, and I started to feel a bit scared. 

 Suddenly, there was a loud whooshing sound by my ear, and I turned around to see what it was. To my horror, I saw a bullet whizzing past me. Another shot followed, and I barely managed to dodge it. My heart was pounding in my chest, and I knew that I had to find somewhere to hide. I ran to the nearest big dumpster and crouched down behind it, hoping to escape the attacker's bullets.

I began to breathe heavily, my heart pounding loudly in my chest, feeling terrified. Somehow, I mustered the strength to ask, stuttering, "W-Who are you and w-why are you f-firing at me?"

There was a moment's silence until a person replied with a muffled deep voice, "YOUR DEATH".

I went numb upon hearing the voice behind me, feeling the cold muzzle of the gun against the back of my head. I wanted to scream, but I quickly realized no one would hear me, and if I did scream, I was certain I would never see this world again.

Slowly turning towards him, I saw his face concealed by a mask, yet his eyes held a sinister glint.

He laughed cruelly and declared, "YOU'RE DEAD, ZAYN MALIK."

He aimed the gun at my forehead and I closed my eyes, expecting to see my entire life flash before me. I thought I was about to die and would never see my friends or family again. I braced myself for the pain of the bullet, but it never came.

When I cautiously opened my eyes, I saw the same person, but this time their eyes were wide with shock. They collapsed to the ground, lifeless and cold. Confused, I took a step back and then noticed someone standing nearby with a gun in their hand.

 Confused, I took a step back and then noticed someone standing nearby with a gun in their hand

I could tell by her body silhouette that she was a girl. She slowly approached me, almost limping. As she got closer, I recognized her. I was taken aback to see her in such a state; it was Em. However, today she appeared different. She was breathing heavily and sweating profusely. Her hair was disheveled, and I noticed she had been shot in her left shoulder and left leg. Her arms were covered in cuts, and she was drenched in blood.

She walked up to me and gazed deeply into my eyes. Her always oceanic blue energetic eyes appeared pale.

She inquired softly, "Are you okay?"

I was deeply concerned about her condition, but I responded, "I'm fine. What's wrong with you?" I asked in return.

She smiled and reached out to touch my cheek, but then suddenly collapsed to the ground. I swiftly caught her as she slowly shut her eyes. She felt cold and lost consciousness.

It frightened me deeply. I attempted to shake her to rouse her gently, but she remained unresponsive. She didn't budge at all. That's when I recalled reading somewhere that a person with a cold body and a bullet wound may not last long. I don't understand what came over me, but I embraced her tightly, and tears streamed down my face. I don't know why but I feared losing her. I didn't know what to do at that moment all I could think about was, What if she died?

A/N: Done. I wanted to continue further but I thought about creating curiosity among you'll.
The coming chapter is going to be part 2 and it's going to be continued in Zayn's pov. What do you'll think?
Is emily dead? And why is zayn so worried about her? What is their real relation?
So stay tuned to know. And vote if you like this chapter. Sorry for any errors.
Love you xoxo :)