Chapter 11: The Knight from the Sovereign Military Order of Malta

this chapter to dedicated Lesliethroneberry

Malta, Valletta

Song It's Time Imagine Dragons

Leslie pov

Leslie looked around inside the co-cathedral and at the marble floor where four hundred knights were buried in richly inlaid tombstones dating back to the seventeenth century that covered that the entire floor of the Co-cathedral, from the nave, chapels and the oratory.

She knew that several of them came from most powerful aristocratic families in Europe, holding high ranks in the Order, from grand priors, admirals, bailiffs amongst others.

Apart from the tombs covering the floor inside there was a crypt containing the tombs of the Grand Masters that were Philippe Villiers de L'sle-Adam, Claude de la Sengle, Jean Parisot de Vallette and Alof de Wingacourt.

She had noted the Maltese limestone from which the cathedral had been built, and wondered why the Knights had chosen this location for.

She felt a flood of memories been in here looking up at the balcony. It was used to announce the name of the newly-elected grandmasters. She had remembered her dad telling that new grand-master used to throw gold coins to the people in the square below.

The walls were carved with flowers and garlands and the vaulted ceiling was splendid painted with frescoes. She knew that the Knight of Malta had built St John Co-cathedral between 1572 and 1577 on request of Grand Master Jean de la Cassirer to act as the conventual church for the Knights.

And that in 1798 after the Knight's of St John were expelled from Malta by Napoleon troops. After that the church no longer functioned as the Knight's church. Napoleon decreed that the church was to serve and operate as Co-cathedral.

But she had no idea why these Italian hitmen were after her for or wanted. She had memories of walking with her father when he told her that this was where her grandfather The Grand Master Jean de Vallette was buried with the Knights.

The hitman said"We know you have it or you put someplace"

Leslie said"I don't what the fuck your talking about, or what you think I have"

The hitman said" Don't be coy with me, where is it"

Leslie didn't know what he was talking about. She had no clue what he was after either. But she needed some answers quickly, she had a strange feeling that was what the argument between her father and Mr.Kenton was about. She noticed that Caraggio's masterpiece and Mata painting The beheading of St John Baptist was missing.

The Knight was back in Valletta watching the events from the Co-cathedral from the Upper Barrakk's garden closely. His orders were clear he was supposed to watch and not interfere unless it was necessary. Although he had known who had hired those hitmen to go after the granddaughter. Victor Kenton and that was trouble.

Leslie said"Where's what"

The assassin leveled his Glock at her as he said"Tell me now or I'll put a round into you. Your choice"

Leslie splinted as she lunged at the assassin with the palm of her hand, raised delivering a lethal blow that shattered the assassin pallet. She quickly ran out through the front entrance as she hurried down the steps. as she looked up at the two bell towers.

She needed to get Midna quickly and fast. The only question on her mind would be if her mother would be happy to see her and would she know what grandfather had left for her.

She was glad that one of the cleaners for Mogilevich had taught her had to had combat moves that would come in handy. She sauntered down freedom street passing by the Royal opera house and exited out through the city gate where she saw a taxi pull up in front.