Chapter 13: The GrandMaster of Knights of Malta

Rome, Palazzo di Malta

Song Believer by Imagine Dragons

The headquarters of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta sat in Via Dei Condotti at number 68, just a few minutes walk from the Spanish steps and from the most powerful shopping street in the city.

The three-story greyish brown with two Maltese flags blowing the tall archway that opened from the street into the courtyard with a small video camera attached to the wall and silver plaque on the entrance with the code of arms on read SOVRANO Militare ORDINE OSPEDALIERO DI GI SAN GIOVANNI DI GERUSALEMME DI RODI E DI MALTA. PALAZZO MAGISTRATE-SEDE EXTRATERRITORIALE. With two Maltese flags

On June 12 1798 when the French forces under Napoleon had seen over the horizon of the island of Malta. It had been the base for the Order of St John of Jerusalem also known as the order of Malta. On March 30 The island was made into a British colony, thus The Order was left without any territory and it was disbanded.

In 1834 it was restored however under a nameThe Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta. The headquarters had been set up in Palazzo Malta in 1869.

Grand Master Enrico Siano Milano sat behind his desk in his office on the third floor as he looked at the photograph of the woman with the Raptor. That his Knight had sent on his phone. He couldn't believe his own eyes what he was seeing.

It was the granddaughter of Jean de Vallette the Grand Master of Knights of Hospitallers and of Malta. This was a good thing he thought. Still there was the matter of the ancient sect within the ranks that dated back to the crusades when they were in Jerusalem that was part of them. 

But he had a feeling that Victor Kenton and his small group of Hospitallers would be after her, all because of something her grandfather had left her. He had promised Rafaele and Crista that he would watch over it and protect their daughter. But he had learned a long time ago that she fled from Malta.

Just then he noticed a Civic sedan drive up to the sideway along the tall Archway. He rose up from his desk and walked out off his office and down the staircase as he exited into the courtyard with a massive eight-pointed white Maltese cross covered the dark cobbles as buildings around him rose up three stories 

The driver stepped out surveying the area around him taking in everyone walking down the sidewalk and shopping. It looked okay so he grabbed the door for Winston Kenneth. He climbed out and walked through the archway where he was greeted by the Grand Master of Hospitallers in dark suit and loafers

Winston said" Why wasn't I told the truth about Leslie Alexis and who she really is"

Grand Master Milano said" Because it didn't concern you and Plus I didn't know she was back in Malta now with this assassin called The Raptor."

Winston said" What do you mean it doesn't fucking concern me, It does if she working with the Raptor. Did you know that your former Grand Master Victor Kenton hired the Raptor''

Grand Master Milano thought for a moment trying to decide what he should tell him and leave out. When it came to the matters of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta there were things that were too secretive for MI6 to know about. But he had decided in the best of Malta was to tell him the truth most of it anyway.

He said" Leslie de Vallette is the granddaughter of Jean de Vallette a legendary grandmaster of the knights of the Hospitallers and of Malta. There is an ancient sect within The knight of Malta that was inept and corrupt. Only the highest-ranking knights were allowed to join. You see the one side loyal to the order while the other wants rebellion"

Winston said," Okay but how does she fit into it then can you explain that"

Grand Master Milano chose his words carefully then said" Victor Kenton is a very dangerous man he wants something that he thinks Miss de Vallette has. Sir Aflano Gateno was killed by the assassin. He was one of our knights"

Winston couldn't believe what he was hearing this Grand Master. And now his only chance of finding this black market was gone. He knew that something strange about Sir Aflano, he couldn't put his finger on yet. Maybe it was the way he looked at the photograph he showed him on his Ipad.or something he said before.

When he requested the file to Leslie Alexis he was denied, told his clearance was not high enough. She was just a cleaner not even a spy. So why her file was classified and why who. After all he was the goddamn section chief of MI6 in the British high commission in Malta.

He said" One more thing why she is important to the Sovereign Military Order of Malta Grand Master Milano"

Grand Master Milano said" she's very important to us, she could be the next Grand Master if she is elected by the Pope but if Kenton gets his way that won't happen. You have to understand that"

Winston said" Did you know that Victor was working with the Sandino family"

Grand Master Milano's eyes narrowed as he said yes I did The Entity had informed me about him."

Winston knew about all the Entity the Vatican Intelligence agency. He wondered what Leslie de Vallette had that this so-called ancient sect wanted so bad from her. Obviously he knew that GrandMaster Milano wouldn't tell him.

Grand Master Milano said" The painting of beheading Saint John Baptist that was stolen from St John Co-cathedral, it belongs to us it was completed 1806 in Malta we commissioned it has altarpiece"

Winston said" Yes I understand that we believe that it was smuggled into the black market, where it will be sold to private collectors"

Grand Master Milano said" Winston that must never happen"

Winston nodded understanding then said" We have one more problem an operative from the Malta security service is not who she seems to be"

Grand Master Milano said" Yes Kayleigh Rose I know that she is working for Malta security service, The Entity, and the ancient sect"

Winston said" She's triple operative she came across our radar screen when she appeared in Monaco"

Grand Master Milano said" Monaco? why is she there for"

Winston said" Were not sure yet but when we find out I let you know"

Grand Master said" Good that would be great"

Winston turned around and walked out through the archway to the sedan. The driver grabbed the back door as he climbed in. Then the chauffeur closed the door and got in and as they drove down the street to Rome International Airport, Winston Kenneth looked out the window.

 The intel that he had gotten from GrandMaster Hamilton about Leslie de Vallette was useful. If he put an end to the ancient sect that was within the Sovereign Military Order of Malta he could become the chief of the MI6 in London.

The Civic sedan drove up into the Airport parking lot, The chauffeur stepped out as he looked around seeing if there was anyone suspicious? There wasn't so he grabbed the door handle for Winston Kenneth. He climbed out but instead of going into the airport he crossed over the street to the security gate where The MI6 Gulfstream was waiting for him.

He ventured through the gate on his way over to the private plane and went up the steps as he boarded it. He walked over to the seat and down. He reached over to his grab his satellite phone and dialed the number for one of his agents In the British High Commission.