Chapter Twenty

Rosaline's POV:

Without a warning, a gust of wind hit me, making my hair fly wildly.

The sky was so dark, it was as if someone had thrown a moth-eaten blanket over the earth, and the stars were the little holes that had been eaten away by the insects.

I filed down the driveway's gravel, as it crunched under my shoes. After hugging my self for so long, trying to form warmth, I finally stuck my hands in my jacket pockets.

On this side of London wasn't as active, especially at night. It was good on the boys behalf, because there wouldn't be girls standing outside their house all day and all night, singing or screaming.

You'd be surprised if you saw more than one car passing by in less than thirty minutes. It kind of scared me when a car passed by, but as long as it was speeding, it didn't matter.

I thought I heard an extra pair of footsteps, so I looked back every few seconds seeing nothing. Basically, it was all delusion.

I kind of regretted not listening to Liam, but it would all teach me a lesson when something happens, if something does.

My fingers crossed in my pocket, in hopes that I wouldn't get lost, kidnapped, raped or attacked by a wild animal for that matter. There was a low clicking sound. When I looked back, there wasn't anything or anyone.

Then coughing was audible within a few feet.

Immediately, my feet stopped in their tracks, then spinning in circles, until I spotted a dark buff figure leant against a street light's pole.

I planned on power walking back in the direction of the house, when suddenly the flickering street light that I stood under, blew out.

The dark figure turned around. He opened his mouth, releasing smoke. I couldn't make out the face of the approaching lad.

"Stay away!" I yelled.

As he got closer, I could already smell the alcohol and nicotine.

"Don't worry, babe," the smirk was clear in his voice. "I might not hurt you."

My hands were trembling and I knew exactly who he was.

James. He never frightened me, it was just intimidating that he wasn't quite himself with poison in his system. He was extremely strong, and there was almost nothing he couldn't do to me.

"What's a pretty girl like you, Rose, doing all alone?" He stepped forward, cupping my face with one hand, and his cigarette in the other.

I smacked his hand, then backed up slowly, putting my hands back into my pocket.

Being the stupid person I am, I forgot my phone at the house.

I felt around in my pockets, looking for something for self defense. Anything could of helped me; if anything, a pen would have!

"What's the matter, sexy?" He blew smoke into my face.

His face was just inches from mine. "You want your little pop-star boyfriend to rescue you?"

In Niall's defense, he's older than James, unless we were referring to their size. Compared to each other, Niall was lanky almost.

I winced, stumbling back a bit. His breath stung like lemon in an open womb. James dropped his cigarette on the ground, then stepped on it, leaving a black smudge on the pavement.

"Leave me alone," I said through my clenched teeth.

"But why?" He pretended to be hurt, then laughed. "We've only just begun."