•|Libero + Ace|•

"He's coming back today." You heard Shimizu utter as the two of you were walking to practice.

"He?" You asked curiously, focusing your attention on her. Just then, something from the other day popped into your mind. "Ah, you mean the Guardian Deity?"

After the match with Aoba Johsai, Captain Sawamura Daichi announced to everyone that Karasuno's guardian deity would be returning... whoever that was.

"Yeah." Shimizu simply nodded. "He was banned for a month from club activities."

You were surprised. Surprised at the fact that this person was suspended from club activities for a month (at the beginning of the school year nonetheless) and surprised because this was the most she's ever spoken to you.

"Is it okay for us to be in our uniforms for practice today?" You asked curiously. Usually the two of you were in sweats or tracksuits or something sports-related.

"Yeah." She replied. As the two of you entered through the gym doors, a boy shorter than Hinata was running your way.

"Kiyoko-san! I came back to see-!"

He was interrupted with a hard slap to the face. You winced at the sound. Honestly, the noise was worse than a volleyball hitting someone's face. That's how you knew she hit him hard.

The boy simply turned around and continued on, taking care to not let anyone else taint Shimizu's touch. The two of you walked past him and into a corner of the gym to put your belongings down.

You heard the Guardian Deity yell, "If Asahi's not coming back, neither am I!" before storming off.

The next few days were even more interesting. The Guardian Deity, Nishinoya Yu, was attending volleyball practices to teach the first years how to properly receive. Aside from this, you learned that he was the libero... and that he fawned over Shimizu just like Tanaka did.

"Guys!" Takeda-sensei came running in. "We've got ourselves another practice match!"

The volleyball club advisor seemed stoked.

"Who?" Sugawara asked anxiously, curious as to whether or not Aoba Johsai had selfishly asked for Kageyama again.

"Nekoma High School from Tokyo." The black-haired adult announced.

Your eyes widened. Playing Nekoma high school meant that Karasuno would be going against long-time rivals—well, at this point, all the other schools in the prefecture were also considered long-time rivals.

"Hey, Shimizu-san, who's Asahi?" You decided to ask since no one seemed to be explaining.

"Karasuno's ace." She informed you. It was short and sweet, as always.

"What?" You were confused. "We had someone like that this whole time?"

"Not quite." Sugawara amiably placed a hand on your head. "He stopped playing after the last season."

"Suga-senpai?" You glanced up at the male. He wore a very obvious fake smile.

"Are you going to cry?" Shimizu looked up at him.

"Huh?" Both you and Sugawara asked simultaneously. It was true that his eyes were beginning to gloss over.

He looked really sad about something.

After that short incident, practice began and ended per usual.

When everything was cleaned up, you walked behind Sugawara for a short while.

"Are you okay?" You asked the male, knowing fully well that he was not okay.

"No." The gray-haired boy sighed deeply. "But I feel like you're always worrying about me, (Name)-san."