•|Spiking + Dreams|•

The Inter-high Preliminaries was less than 24 hours away, and for these past few weeks, everyone was working hard to improve their individual abilities, but also honing in on team play tactics.

"Udai."

At the sound of your surname, you turned around to face Coach Ukai. "Yes?"

"Come spike these balls so that they can practice receives."

The coach brought a couple of ladders out from the supply closet and placed them on opposite sides of the net. There were two ball carts that accompanied each ladder.

While you and the coach were spiking, Takeda-sensei and Shimizu were going to be handing you the volleyballs from the cart.

"Huh? (Name), you play volleyball?" Hinata, your fellow first year, was confused as to why you were spiking and why one of the others were not.

"Her brother's the Little Giant, did you forget shrimp?" Tsukishima was standing behind the boy, insulting him for belittling your volleyball abilities.

"That doesn't mean she has to be good at it too." Hinata pouted.

You appreciated his natural urge to distinguish you from your brother.

"I wouldn't want people thinking my little sister-"

"Stop fooling around." Coach Ukai interrupted their banter. He was ready to start the receiving session. "5 good receives and then move on."

"Help me keep track, Takeda-sensei." You requested, knowing full well that you may lose count.

"I-I'll do my best!" The teacher handed you a ball and you began to stretch out both of your arms.

You forgot how long it's been since you were able to feel the smoothness of a volleyball on your palms. The only thing that could make this moment better was if someone had set it to you.

"Here we go." You stared at the orange-haired boy who was the first in your line.

Hinata watched as you tossed the ball into the air and gave it a powerful smackdown with your right hand.

His eyes widened and his body didn't react.

"Hm?" You were confused as you grabbed another ball from the club advisor. "What's wrong Hinata? You'll be here all day if you don't start moving."

"S-Sorry!" The boy stuttered. He crouched down slightly—in preparation for the spike—and smiled widely. "It's just... I've played volleyball with the old ladies and girls before and not one of them has ever spiked that rough."

You laughed at this and sent another one flying. This time it was with your left hand.

"You're ambidextrous?" The captain popped his head out from behind Tsukishima. "Have you thought of joining the girl's volleyball team?"

"I don't play volleyball anymore." You simply stated, giving the smaller boy another spike to receive. You noticed that his stance was beginning to look weird. "Don't face outwards like that, Hinata."

After everyone got through the receiving drills, they practiced their serves.

"Alright, let's bring it in boys." Coach Ukai began to give words of encouragement at the end of practice.

Before he could wrap up his speech, Shimizu and yourself had something to present. You excitedly nudged her shoulder and walked up the ladder to the second floor. The other manager had found something priceless while cleaning and worked hard to wash and iron it.

She counted, and on 'three' the two of you pushed the black fabric over the edge. White calligraphy that spelled 'Fly' was displayed to everyone on the main level. The two of you tied it securely to the railing.