𝟎𝟖

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓﹙ 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒆𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 ﹚࿐ ࿔ ✧˖*°▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓
﹙ 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒆𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 ﹚
࿐ ࿔ ✧˖*°
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

   The drive to the Mikaelson safe house was, for one word, awkward. It's awkward because one, Rory and Hayley hadn't exactly had the chance to speak since it was discovered that she slept with Rory's ex-boyfriend, and it didn't exactly help that Rory and Dean had a somewhat thunderous argument through the phone on the drive over. It was just a very confusing, uncomfortable situation for everybody involved. Hayley and Rory, for the most part, sat in tense silence until Klaus pulled over at a gas station to refill the tank.

   "So..." Hayley starts. Rory raises her eyebrow as they meet gazes through the rear-view mirror—the unsired hybrid chose to sit in the backseat, for whatever reason, Rory did not know—and locks her phone. "We never really...addressed the elephant in the room."

   "I'm guessing that the elephant is the fact that you slept with Klaus hours after he and I broke up?" Rory asks. Hayley doesn't say anything, pursing her lips. Rory exhales, leaning back in her seat. "Honestly, Hayley, I'm going to tell you...I was angry with you and Klaus for a really long time. But it's been two years, and if you really think about it, you guys didn't do anything wrong. I mean, it was shitty, extremely, but it's not like Klaus and I were in a relationship when you guys slept together."

   "I felt really terrible about what happened. Especially when I found out that you walked in; I had no idea. I was mortified, actually. I just...I'm sorry," Hayley looks down at her hands, and Rory thinks that the girl probably doesn't spend a lot of time apologising for her wrongdoings. "It was a moment of weakness for me too and he and I just took advantage of the fact that we were both miserable."

   "I know. It's a very Klaus thing to do. I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was," Rory diverts her attention to the aforementioned hybrid, seeing him argue with the cashier inside the gas station. "But, if it's any consolation, I'm glad that you have a family to turn to now. With Hope in the picture, I mean, you're practically an honorary Mikaelson."

   "That's up for debate," Hayley snorts.

   Rory turns to face her, a small smile on her lips. "They're a tough family to be around, but they protect their own. Like it or not, you're Klaus' baby mama, which means that you're practically family,"

   "The same could be said about you, you know," Hayley responds. Rory's eyes drop. "A lot of people think you're just Klaus' girlfriend or something, but the rest of the family, they care about you. A lot. You're not just a tender subject to Klaus; Elijah and Rebekah have trouble speaking about you too. It's like...your name is so taboo in that household. They just clam up."

   "I don't think that's exactly a good thing, Hayley," Rory says.

   "It isn't exactly the best, but I think you managed to put a mark on them that even they didn't expect," Hayley folds her hands over her lap. "Rebekah has a picture of the two of you on her dresser; she took it with her when she left to take care of Hope. Elijah speaks of you very fondly—the few times he does speak about you—and...god, no one even needs to mention Klaus. I swear, he goes on this whole tangent with Cami. Even strangers probably know how you like your coffee. Iced—"