𝟐𝟑

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓﹙ 𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐, 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚-𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 ﹚࿐ ࿔ ✧˖*°▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓
﹙ 𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐, 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚-𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 ﹚
࿐ ࿔ ✧˖*°
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Rory didn't spend that much time with Marcel, but he was a good man, that much she knew. You just had to be if you spent your life with the Mikaelsons and lived to tell the tale. No, not only that, but people loved you. People loved Marcel Gerard. At one point, people even worshipped him—the king of the Quarter, people called him. Just like his father.

A cigarette burns between her fingers as she reclines on the sofa in the courtyard. The cancer stick is burning, but she's made no move to smoke it. It seems like it's just there for decoration these days. She stares out into nothing in particular—she's too exhausted to think, or speak, or act. She feels like she's stuck; completely and utterly.

Her view of Klaus' portrait is blocked by none other than Elijah Mikaelson. Rory's brown eyes flicker up to meet his gaze. His lips are downturned into a frown, pressed together into a thin line. Rory doesn't know what to think about Elijah anymore. How far he has strayed from the man she knew from Mystic Falls.

This isn't Elijah.

Or was it? Did Rory just not know the layers that resided beneath the older Mikaelson brother? Perhaps she was just like Elijah's other victims—fooled by the spotless suit and handsome smile, charmed by his kind words and reassuring gaze.

He was a friend, and now he was a monster.

"Rory, I'd like to apologise," when Elijah speaks, the words he says doesn't compute as such. She remembers the feeling of his fingers around her neck, harsh, crushing her windpipe under his grip. Don't, Rory. "The way I handled you...it was ungentlemanly and unbecoming of me. I should not have done what I did."

Rory taps the excess off her cigarette. She makes no move to smoke it.

"And as for Marcellus—"

"Marcel," Rory speaks for the first time that day. She's glad that it's his name that she says. "His name isn't Marcellus. It's Marcel. It wasn't Malachai either, it was Kai. And I don't forgive you," Rory looks up at him, clenching her jaw. "What you did...that was just low of you, Elijah. I have seen the extents that your family has gone through but killing a man that was mourning his own daughter is just awful."

"I did what I had to do for this family, Rory. You will need to understand that if you're going to become one of us. This family has survived for as long as we have for a reason: we have stuck together. Family above all,"

"I couldn't do what you did to them," Rory whispers. "I couldn't do what you did to Davina. I couldn't do what you did to Marcel. If that's what it takes to become part of your family, then that isn't something I want. If I have to lose my humanity, if I have to subject an innocent young girl to the very ancestors that want to torture her, Elijah...if I have to rip the heart out of my nephew's chest and subject him to death for feeling sad, I don't want to have any part of this."