𝟏𝟖

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓﹙ 𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐, 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒆𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏﹚࿐ ࿔ ✧˖*°▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓
﹙ 𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐, 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒆𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏﹚
࿐ ࿔ ✧˖*°
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Rory never thought she'd end up fighting with Kai. He's simply one of the people she got along easiest with despite their differing opinions on different things. The point is, she never thought that she'd end up having a disagreement with the heretic, because she and him just clicked. Becoming friends with Kai was as easy as reciting the alphabet.

"Kai," Rory stalks after him as he leaves the room, attempting to clutch on his arm. Kai tugs it out of reach. "Kai. Kai, wait."

"I don't want to hear it, okay, Rory?" Kai mutters in an exasperated manner. "You are so brainwashed by this family that I know you're just going to end up telling me things I already know—"

"—Kai, I'm trying to thank you," Rory interjects. Kai pauses in his tracks, turning to face Rory. His intense gaze softens as his eyes search Rory's face. "I don't...there's not a lot of people that have stood up to Klaus the way you have, especially for me. And I know that it took a lot of guts—"

"—Not really. He kinda lost his intimidation factor when I walked in on you two spooning—"

"—Can you just let me finish?" Rory questions. Kai pauses, crossing his arms over his chest. "Listen, whether you find him intimidating or not...his family has a hold on people. And despite that, you stood up for me. I'm just...I was just shocked. And I would never want to leave you alone to suffer the consequences of that."

"I just don't get it," Kai whispers. "Why do you stay, Rory? There's nothing in it for you. Every day you wake up and you get hurt and you're always on the run from something or someone. Is it really worth it?"

"I love him," is all Rory manages to say.

"See, this is the problem with emotions like love. You risk everything just to feel it, and what does it get you? Hexed. Kidnapped. Nearly murdered. You have lost every single one of your family members because of love. Hell, the man that put your sister in a magical coma is standing right in front of you, Rory!"

"I don't know what you want me to say!"

"I'm trying to make you understand that sometimes love isn't worth it," Kai states. Rory clamps her mouth shut, blinking in shock. "It just isn't. It's not worth the danger that you put yourself in every time you walk around with Klaus' name around your neck."

"Was killing my brother not enough?" Klaus speaks from the end of the hallway. Rory turns around to face her fiancé, seeing anger written all over his face. "Are you attempting to ruin my engagement, Malachai?"

"It's Kai," he states.

"Well, it's not like you've ever gotten my name correctly," Klaus shrugs as he strides forward.