Chapter Twelve

ROMAN'S P.O.V

It was refreshingly quiet on this Friday morning. I had woken up just a little bit earlier since I needed to go into the publishing firm to grab the next manuscript that I would be editing.

It was only six in the morning so it's not like I was expecting anyone other than Lance to be up at this hour but it seems that he has today off.

I left a note on the fridge for anyone who might wake up first to let them know where I've gone and headed out to my car.

My ride was mostly silent, the only sound being the soft music coming from the radio and once I arrived, I parked in the garage.

When I walked in the building, I stopped by the front desk to say hello to Jean.

"Hey, Jean" I said and Jean turned her head up at me before beaming. Jean was a sweet girl and we talked from time to time about casual things.

"Oh, good morning Roman. It's been a while since you've stopped by. Picking up a new manuscript?" She asked and I nodded.

"Yeah the last one took me quite a while so I'm hoping this one won't be as bad" I said and Jean let out a small laugh.

"Well, go get em' tiger" she said with a wink and I just nodded with a smile before waving her goodbye and heading over to the elevator.

The wait for the elevator was only a few seconds before I stepped inside and a few other people did as well but before the door could close someone's hand stopped it.

The hand belonged to a man clad in a clearly expensive suit with an expensive coat to match. On his wrist was a golden watch and his pointer finger had a silver ring around it. He had on sunglasses that kind of made him look a little suspicious. There was hardly any sun out so what was the need?

I thought nothing more of it as I turned my focus away. The elevator stopped on multiple floors, letting out some people until it was just me and the mysterious guy in the elevator.

Once the elevator stopped on my floor, I was about to head out until I heard the guy cough, as if to get my attention.

"Uh...do you buy any chance work with Mark Benjamin?" He asked and I nodded. I didn't only work with him, I worked for him.

"Yes, why?" I asked stepping out of the elevator.

"I have a meeting with him and I'm kind of lost. I knew the floor but..." he trailed off.

"Well, you can just follow me" I said before walking off. It wasn't hard for the guy to keep up with me as his long legs walked quickly beside me.

The walk to the department office was short and in no time we arrived. I could see Lizzy, my coworker, staring at me wide eyed from her desk.

"The door back there is where his office is" I said pointing to one of the various doors in the room.

"Thank you...uh?" He looked at me and I was confused for a moment before realizing he was asking me for my name.

"Roman" I said and he nodded.

"Thanks, Roman" he said before heading off to Mark's office.

I walked to my own desk and set down my bag before sitting down. We usually had to wait a while for Mark to come and tell us what our next manuscripts were for and when they were due and how often they should be checked up on.

"Are you really going to act like you didn't just walk in here with a hot guy?" Lizzy asked from her desk.

"Yes. I don't know who he is, I was only helping him find his way" I said nonchalantly. She pouted at my answer before turning back to her work.