Chapter Thirty Three

Cold.

"Ceres...Mama is sorry, you know she is right?" Serena whispered as she stroked her daughter's hair.

She was so cold.

Even though Ceres was being held so closely to her mother, she was cold. A mother's embrace was supposed to be warm, so why is it that she was still shivering?

Was she shivering because she was cold, or because she was scared?

Ceres had long forgotten. She only wanted to sleep but being in her mother's embrace had to be one of the most nerve wracking positions she could ever find herself in.

How could she sleep when she was so afraid? Afraid that her mother would lash out again, or do something even worse?

"Yes...I know" Ceres whispered and when Serena held her closer, Ceres let her eyes flutter shut.

She wouldn't sleep because she was tired. She would sleep to escape the fear of the woman who was holding her in faux affection. The hug she was receiving, she knew it wasn't one of love.

"Mama loves you...she does..."

So why does she continue to lie?

~ Present Time, Ceres P.O.V. ~

Warm.

"Happy birthday, Ceres!!"

I felt so warm.

It was like someone had lit a flame inside of me and the heat was just overwhelming me as I stood in awe at the sight in front of me.

There was a cake, no doubt made by Roman and Kade, and my name was written on it in cursive with 'Happy 15th Birthday' next to it. Although the icing of the cake was white, I wondered what flavor was hiding beneath it.

"Thank you" I said while giving the biggest smile that I possibly could. How could I not smile when greeted with such a sight?

The flash of a camera startled me and I saw Kade grinning at me with his phone held up.

"Another great photo for the album~" he said as he saved the picture.

"Come on, kiddo. Blow out your candles" Ares said nudging me and I closed my eyes for a moment, thinking of my wish.

I wished to be able to someday make everyone as happy as they've all made me.

With my wish in mind, I blew out the many candles on the cake and the sounds of cheers filled my ears as I opened my eyes.

Seeing the smiling faces of my brothers and Papa only intensified the warm feeling within me until I felt like I was a flower that had finally gotten the chance to bloom after a long and harsh winter.

"You can open your gifts when you get home from school" Papa said and hearing his mentioning of gifts, I suddenly remembered the ones I had for them.

"Please wait here" I said before going to the kitchen. I had stashed the chocolates in a place where no one, not even Lucas would look.

Behind an unsuspecting package of broccoli.

After grabbing the chocolates I came back and handed one to each of my brothers and Papa.

Upon receiving his gift, Lance let out a soft chuckle.

"Only Ceres would give out presents on her own birthday" he said and I blushed.

"B-But it's also Valentine's Day...and Diana said giving chocolate is a way to tell someone you love them so..." I said and towards the end of the sentence I had averted my eyes, feeling just the smallest bit of embarrassment run through me.