Chapter Twenty Two

Although I was still kind of shaken up by the events of the other day, I tried my best to not let it bother me. It was almost Christmas and I didn't want to dampen my spirits for the occasion.

After all, this would be my first real Christmas.

I had never actually celebrated Christmas with Mama, she didn't like Christmas. I don't know why but I also never asked because I didn't want to put her in a bad mood.

My favorite part of Christmas was the lights. Every year, I would look at the lights in the neighborhood just admiring how pretty they were.

I was a little excited when I was asked to help decorate the tree. Okay, maybe I was more than a little excited. It would be my first time decorating a tree and I've always wanted a tree so I was really looking forward to helping the others.

"Ceres! We're decorating the tree now!" Roman called me from downstairs and I jumped out of my bed and rushed down the stairs.

When I walked into the living room, I had immediately stopped at the sight of our tree. I was in awe as I stared at it. It had to be at least 8 feet I think. It was bare of any ornaments but that would soon change with the help of my brothers. All the decorations were laid out in boxes that were scattered around the room.

Off to the side, Max was grumbling things under his breath as he tried to untangle the lights.

"Still don't see why I have to do this shit..." I heard him mutter and apparently Lance heard him too.

"It isn't the end of the world, Max" he said and Max rolled his eyes in response.

"It's annoying. If you barbarians put them back properly, this wouldn't happen" He said as he finished untangling one of the lights and then groaned when he saw the many others that still needed untangling.

"Don't blame us. Ares put the lights back last year" Lucas said as he was taking out some ornaments from the boxes.

"Oh yes, blame me for every little thing that goes on in this house" Ares said with a roll of his eyes.

"You're the one here 24/7" Roman said and Ares just frowned before returning to what he was doing.

"Ceres, do you mind grabbing that box and looking for the star?" Lance asked pointing over to a box near Roman and I nodded.

There was a bunch of little ornament balls and angels inside as I sifted through the things. Some of the garlands had shedded and was all over the box.

"Um, where's Kade? I just realized it's quiet in here" Max asked looking at us.

"I think he's still sleeping" Lucas said and Roman sighed.

"Nose goes!" Ares yelled and everyone but me started putting their fingers on their nose and Max cursed out loud all of a sudden.

"I always fucking lose..." Max grumbled as he dropped the lights harshly on the ground.

"C'mon kid" Max said and I paused.

"But I haven't found the star yet..." I said and this time Lance interjected.

"It's fine. You can look for it later" he said and so with that, me and Max headed upstairs to wake Kade up.