Chapter Thirteen

KADENCE'S P.O.V

My hands glided swiftly across the keyboard as I typed up once again, another email. My boss had dumped all of this work on me this morning, and it was killing me.

It was hard for me to focus when all I could think about Ceres at home in pain.

I felt so bad for my baby. Before I had left, she was hunched in her bed, a painful expression still adorning her precious features even in her sleep. Roman had given her the pain medicine but instead of helping her, it just upset her stomach and she threw it back up.

She could barely sleep a wink these past few nights and had eventually passed out from the exhaustion after being up and in pain for so long.

It frustrated me that the person causing her so much pain wasn't tangible. I'd do anything if I could to help stop the pain but it was just out of my reach.

"Hey, Kade, you doing alright?" My coworker, Astrid, had approached me from her cubicle. She scooched over on her rolling chair with a lopsided grin on her lips and I smiled slightly.

Astrid and I sometimes chatted here and there to pass the time in this dull black and white work office. She was a very good friend, funny too. We were always late coming back from lunch because of how much we talked.

"I'm alright. Hubert dumped another work load on me" I said gesturing to the stack of papers on my desk and Astrid rolled her eyes before giving me a pat on my shoulder.

"Don't worry. That ass is gonna get his someday. Want me to help? I don't mind" I shook my head at the offer.

"It's alright. I'm almost...done...?" I said as I glanced at the nearly foot high stack. Astrid shook her head before standing up and grabbing half of the stack.

"Astrid-" I started but she cut me off with a quick shake of her head.

"Nope. I'm helping. You gotta learn to use your resources, or you'll be here all night" Astrid said while returning to her cubicle. I sighed before throwing her a tired smile.

"Thank you" I said and Astrid gave me a grin in return.

"Lunch is on you" She said winking before turning back to her computer and I just chuckled before turning back to my now lightened stack.

I felt bad that Astrid had taken on more work that she didn't have to do but once Astrid made her mind up, it was hard to change her mind. It really made me wonder why someone like her was working here. She just tells me that it was an easy job and it paid the bills.

I yawned after a while and checked my watch. Lunch could not come any faster. Even though Astrid definitely lightened my workload, I was still swamped with not only these extra papers but also my own normal work.

Curse that old man.

I grabbed my wallet as I made the decision to get something from the vending machine in the hall to somewhat hold me until lunch.

I groaned when my favorite snack wasn't there so I just settled for some pretzels but when I entered the number, the pretzels didn't come out at all. Well, that's just great. I banged my head on the glass.

I guess today just isn't my day.

Soon enough lunch had passed and now it was coming towards the end of the day and with the help of Astrid, the stack our boss had given me was finally finished. As I was getting ready to take the stack to the office, Astrid grabbed my arm.

"You sure you don't want me to take them? I don't want that guy trying to put more work on you" Astrid said and I gave her a reassuring smile.

"I'll be alright. I'm just dropping them off, and besides he left for a break" I said and Astrid gave a satisfied nod.