Chapter Fifteen

I was so glad that all that pain was over, but now it was time to return to a different kind of pain. The pain of going to school.

I walked into my first class while yawning and upon entering, I saw Diana standing near my desk. I walked over and when she saw me, she turned to me with a slight smile.

"Are you feeling better?" She asked and this time, instead of just ignoring her like normal, I nodded my head. When the first wave of pain had hit me, Diana was instantly by my side trying to figure out what was wrong with me.

She had even been so kind as to lend me her phone and it was then that I realized that Diana truly was just a good person. She had been nothing but nice to me and yet I barely responded to her or acknowledged her presence when she was with me. She even went out of her way to help me when I needed it.

She helped me.

Someone who didn't deserve her help because I was too stubborn to realize that not everyone had bad intentions when they said they wanted to be friends with me. I wanted to somehow make amends with her and let her know that I was very grateful for her help, but how could I go about that without making a fool of myself?

"Yes, I feel much better" I said taking my seat and Diana beamed before reaching in her bag and grabbing some papers.

"I copied the notes onto a separate sheet for you since you missed a couple classes. We also have a homework that's due tomorrow and I wrote the questions in there as well" she said handing the papers to me but I just stared at them.

Why was she doing this? Why was she being so kind to me?

"You didn't have to do that..." I said and Diana shook her head.

"It's alright! It really was no trouble since there wasn't a lot of notes anyways" she said placing the notes on my desk.

"I, uh, guess I'll leave you alone now" she said going back to her seat but I stopped her by grabbing onto her wrist. Diana turned back to me with a surprised look and it took all the courage I had inside of me to say my next words.

"I-I...do you want to sit next to me...?" I asked while averting my gaze. I was still too afraid to look at her reaction and I hated myself for it. I was mainly afraid of her rejection.

But her rejection never came.

"Sure!" I looked up and saw Diana giving me a one thousand watt smile before grabbing her bag and putting it in the seat next to me.

I walked back to my own seat and this time when Diana talked to me, I actually listened to what she was saying. Through out the entire time, my lips twitched every now and then as I held back the urge to smile at her silly words and dramatics.

Is this what my brothers meant when they said it was nice to have friends?

Throughout the day, me and Diana talked about many things. I learned so much about her that I thought I knew her entire life backstory. She had an older sister that no longer lives with them, her parents were divorced and her father was detective, she had a pet turtle named Scratchy, and that when she grows up she wanted to be famous.

Famous for what? She said that part will have to wait.

During lunch, Max said that he didn't mind us going off on our own since he was with Julia so we talked during lunch as well.

The entire day, this warm feeling was sitting right in my chest and I was afraid that when we went home, it would fade. I didn't want to let go of it now that I've gotten a feel of how nice it is to have it.

"Diana..." I called her name as we were walking out from our last class. She looked at me with a smile still on her face and she hummed as if saying 'yes?'.