Chapter Thirty Nine

WILL'S P.O.V.

When I saw those normally dull green eyes in the back of the room, I thought my mind was playing a cruel trick on me. Surprisingly it wasn't, and the girl I had just seen really was Ceres Spencer.

I didn't recognize her at first because of her hair cut but the uninterested look on her face when our eyes met was enough to make it very clear to me.

To think that we would meet again, it was as if fate had brought us back together again.

That's all it could be, right?

Thinking back to when we were at our old school was like reliving a distant memory now that Ceres has seemed to change so much.

~ Flashback Incoming ~

She was beautiful again today as always. The way she walked into the classroom without a single care in the world was so intriguing. She kept her eyes forward and no where else. It made me wonder, did she truly believe that others weren't good enough for her like the rumors said, or was this her way of protecting herself?

Whatever the reason, I admired her greatly for it.

"Will, are you listening to what I'm saying?" Some girl, I couldn't care to remember her name, whined as she tugged on my shirt sleeve. The pout on her lips made me frown in disgust as I took my arm from her grasp.

"All that falls from that mouth of yours is garbage. It's annoying which makes you annoying" I said in a voice that dripped with irritation because I honestly was.

Girls constantly fawned over me as if I were some trophy to have in their trophy case. If they were seen talking with me, then it was as if they had superiority over others. It was so damn annoying to have to listen to their whines about whatever problems they're going through.

I'm a student not their therapist.

Which brings me back to the beautiful specimen who was staring out the window with a faraway look. She was different from all of them. She hardly paid me, let alone anyone, any mind and always kept others at an arm's distance. I wanted to learn about her, and what made her this way. She was the needle in the haystack that I was eager to find.

I could somewhat gauge her personality from how often I've studied her. Although she disliked being around others, she wasn't rude or mean. She was polite even when being rudely insulted by the pitiful bullies this school had to offer.

But surely she had to have some kind of hatred towards them, anyone would.

"Oh, Will. I know you don't mean that" the oblivious twit said as she tried to grab my arm again but I gave her a sharp glare that made her freeze.

"You're such a nuisance. If you continue to harass people this way then no one will ever love you the way you want them too" I said and I felt a sense of satisfaction wash over me as her eyes watered at my words.

She was finally understanding that I had no intentions of giving her my attention.

When she moved away from me, I happily turned back to Ceres only to see her glancing my way. When our eyes locked, her dull green ones that bore no emotion stared right into my own blue ones.

I couldn't read her at all, and that was something I often tried hard to do. It was easy to read others, but Ceres was a closed book with a lock and seemingly no key.

~ Flashback End ~

I wanted to be the one to be able to break past that barrier of hers, to be the one to make her smile but it seems that task was already taken on and completed by another.