5 Makki

May I Have This Dance?

KareBearMay

“Hey, Max!” Neil ran up beside his best friend, giving him a fist bump. “Have you found a date for the dance yet? You’ve only got today.”

“No. As usual,” Max huffed. They stopped by his locker to get his stuff for their next class. “I wasn’t really making an effort to do so anyway. What about you? Managed to get a girl?”

Neil rubbed his hands, a habit he had whenever he was nervous. “Well...not exactly-”

“Great! Wanna come over to my house then? We can prank the shit out of some cops on David’s phone, and finish up on that ‘Stranger Things’ episode.”

“While all that sounds really tempting, I in fact do have a date.”

Max looked at him curiously, before it clicked. “So you asked out...a guy?” Neil nodded, a small smile and blush growing on his face. “Who is it?”

“Preston. And I know what you’re thinking: ‘He’s a prissy bitch,’”-Max nodded his quickly- “But he’s actually pretty cool and nice once you get to know him.”

“...Right. Good luck in your marriage then,” Max teased, laughing as Neil stuck up his finger. “But I’m happy for ya. At least you won’t be a fucking loser just hanging out at the punch table…”

Neil looked at Max’s forlorn face, a wave of sympathy filling him up. It was rare to see Max so genuinely upset about something he would have otherwise brushed off as stupid. As the boys neared the class, Neil suddenly got an idea.

“Max! Why don’t you ask Nikki to be your date?”

Max suddenly stopped, his breath hitched. They hadn’t seen Nikki since the end of camp- six years ago. Max was disappointed that they had to leave- something he would never admit to fucking anyone. But he was more crushed when neither he nor Neil saw her at their school. She apparently transferred to another school and they lost touch with each other.  

“Dude, are you okay?” Neil asked, concern evident in his eyes. Max broke out of his reverie.

“I’m fine, Neil...let’s just get to class.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night, Max picked at his dinner, a cloud of anger and sadness looming over him.

“Max? What’s wrong buddy? You haven’t eaten anything,” David inquired, putting his fork down. The boy shrugged, still picking at his food.

“Is there a test that you failed? Is Ms. Grant being unfair again, because I will let her know. *Gasp* Is there a bully that you haven’t told me about?! I’m hard and ready to show that kid some manners!”

Max sighed irritably. “No, no, no, and I thought Gwen and I went over this: you don’t phrase it like that! It’s fucking nothing David, I’m fine.”

“Language, Max. Anyway, I won’t ask about it anymore. Just tell me when you’re ready. But please, eat something ,” David said as he took his dish to the sink. “I’ll be in my room if you need me.” He ruffled Max’s hair before going upstairs.