Chapter 17

"... and then after the map said all of those hilarious things to Snape, the greasy git called Lupin in for some reason. Lupin covered for us, but he took the map! He was really upset with us, he said we put ourselves in danger," I told Ava once she was back from Hogsmeade. We were sitting on the floor in the common room, catching up, since we had been mad at each other for so long. "The weirdest part was that when the map said the names of the people who created it, one of them was Padfoot. Isn't that what you named your puppy?"

"It had to of been a coincidence. I can't believe you and Harry yelled at Snape like that," Ava gaped. "I mean, that jerk totally deserves it, but still!"

"I know... Anyways, I heard Harry forgave you?" I said, sort of awkwardly.

"Yeah, he did," Ava said, suddenly looking sad. "But I can tell he doesn't like me as more than a friend anymore."

I didn't really know what to say, because Ava was sort of right.

I glanced behind me at Harry and Ron. Ginny would be real happy about this.

Suddenly, the Fat Lady portrait (she had finally returned) burst open, revealing a tear-streaked Hermione. I jumped up, rushing towards her.

"Who do I have to beat up?" I asked.

"N-nobody," Hermione hiccuped.

"Just come from telling on us?" Ron said rudely.

"No," Hermione said. "I just thought I should let you all know that Hagrid just sent me this letter. Buckbeak is being executed."

My heart dropped, my eyes beginning to water. I quickly scanned over the tear stained letter, and I instantly felt awful for Hagrid.

"They can't, Buckbeak isn't a danger to anyone!" Harry exclaimed.

"Malfoy's dad scared the committee into it," Hermione said quietly. "They're a bunch of blithering old idiots that'll do anything Malfoy says. Of course there'll be an appeal, but there's almost no hope..."

"We can't let this happen. You won't do it alone this time, Hermione. I'll help you," Ron said.

"Finally..." I mumbled to Ava, rolling my eyes. It took Ron long enough to come to his senses.

"Oh, Ron!" Hermione cried, flinging herself into his arms and totally breaking down. "I'm s-so sorry a-about Scabbers, I really am-"

"It's okay, he was old anyways," Ron said, awkwardly patting Hermione's head.

I couldn't help but snort at the awkwardness standing in front of me.

"Okay, now that everyone is all made up, can we please go to dinner? I'm starving!" I said, grabbing Ava's arm and dragging her towards the portrait hole.

**********

"Hagrid, there's still the appeal. You can't give up yet!" Ron told Hagrid in Care of Magical Creatures one day. Due to the new safety measures on the castle, we couldn't really go to his hut to visit him anymore.

"S'no good, Ron," Hagrid sighed. "The committee is in Malfoy's pocket. I'm jus' gonna make sure the rest o' Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that."

Hagrid buried his face in his handkerchief, hurrying back towards his cabin.

After class, Harry, Hermione, Ron and I began walking back up to the castle, feeling very sorry for Hagrid.

"I wish I could just slap Malfoy right in his stupid face," I muttered angrily.

"Look at him blubber!" Malfoy laughed. He was standing at the castle doors with Crabbe and Goyle. "Have you ever seen anything so pathetic? And he's supposed to be our teacher!"