Chapter 7

I was frozen in place. This couldn't be real, I hadn't put my name in the Goblet of Fire. My heart was pounding loudly in my ears, and I knew that I had to move, but I couldn't. An angry buzz broke out in the hall, and I could feel everyone's eyes burning on Harry and I.

Ron and Hermione were staring blankly at Harry and I. I turned to Fred and George, who were staring just as blankly at me.

"I- we didn't-" I stammered, my throat feeling tight.

"Neither of us put our names in," Harry managed to say. "You know we didn't."

"Harry and Lillian Potter!" Dumbledore called again, louder this time.

"Go, you two!" Hermione hissed, giving me a small push.

I stumbled out of my seat, Harry by my side. I looked at him with wide eyes, my mouth wide open. He glanced at me nervously.

McGonagall was whispering something to Dumbledore. Gulping, I slowly began walking towards the staff table with Harry by my side. The walk felt like it could've been an hour long- I could feel every pair of eyes on me in the Great Hall.

Finally, we were standing right in front of Dumbledore. I looked up at him helplessly, silently begging him for help with my eyes. He was not smiling; I couldn't tell how he felt.

"Well, Harry, Lily, go on then, through the door," he said.

Harry and I walked along the staff table. They all looked completely astonished, as if they didn't believe this could be happening. I couldn't either. Not even Hagrid gave Harry or I his usual smile.

We walked through the door to the next chamber, which was filled with portraits of witches and wizards. Fleur, Cedric, and Krum were all standing by a fireplace, and turned around at the sound of our footsteps.

"Hello, Lily," Fleur said, looking at me with a confused expression. "Do zey want us back in ze Hall?"

She thought we were here to deliver a message. I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. I looked up at the three champions, and although I wasn't exactly intimidated by them, I couldn't help but notice how very tall they all were.

I looked at Harry, not knowing what to say or do. I heard footsteps behind us, and turned to see Bagman entering the room. He grabbed Harry and I by the arms and pulled us closer to the other champions.

"Extraordinary!" Bagman said quietly. "How... it beats me... ladies and gentlemen... may I introduce two more Triwizard champions?"

I wished that I could've just closed my eyes, and when I opened them, it would all be a nightmare. But when I opened my eyes, all I saw was that Krum had stood up straighter, and Cedric looked like he was at a loss for words, but Fleur just laughed, tossing back her silvery sheet of hair.

"Very funny joke, Meester Bagman," she laughed.

"I wish it was a joke," I croaked.

Fleur looked at me with wide, pitying eyes.

"B-but we didn't put our names in," I said.

Dumbledore, McGonagall, Crouch, Karkaroff, Madam Maxime, and Snape all came hurrying through the door. The momentary opening of the door allowed the angry buzz of the students on the other side of the door to flood into the room, before the door was closed again.

"Madame Maxime!" Fleur said. "Zey are saying zat zey are to compete also! Zey are just leetle-"

Little? Hey, I was fourteen!

"Not two, but three Hogwarts champions? What are you playing at, Dumbledore?" Karkaroff said angrily.

"C'est impossible," Madam Maxime said. "Hogwarts cannot 'ave three champions. It is most injust."