Chapter 20

"Harry, Lily..."

Harry and I were both gazing off into the clouds, even though Sirius had already disappeared. I sighed, turning around to face Hermione.

"We've got exactly ten minutes to get back down to the hospital wing without anyone seeing us- before Dumbledore locks the door-"

I grabbed Harry's arm, pulling him along behind me. We quietly ran through the castle, and took a spiral, stone staircase. We ran down a corridor, and we were about to turn a corridor when I spotted Snape and Fudge. I threw my arms out, stopping Harry and Hermione from turning. We flattened ourselves against the wall, listening closely.

"I only hope Dumbledore won't make any difficulties," Snape said. "The kiss will be performed immediately."

I had to refrain from laughing as I imagined the look on Snape's face when he found out that Sirius had escaped.

"Of course, of course, as soon as Macnair returns with the dementors..." Fudge sighed. "This whole Black affair has been highly embarrassing, I can't express how much I look forward to informing the Daily Prophet that we've got him at last... I daresay they'll want to interview you, Snape... and once the young Potter twins are back in their right mind, I expect he will tell the Prophet exactly how you saved him."

I could just imagine Snape's smirk without even seeing his face. A moment later, the coast was clear, and we began running towards the hospital wing again. We caught sight of Peeves mid-way there, and threw ourselves into a deserted classroom just in time. He was cackling away, probably excited that someone was receiving the dementor's kiss.

"Oh, he's horrible," Hermione whispered. "Three minutes!"

After Peeves passed, we slipped out of the classroom, breaking into a run again. I could feel the time ticking away, and I had to remind myself that we were almost there.

"Hermione- what'll happen- if we don't get back inside- before Dumbledore locks the door?" Harry panted.

"Don't even think about that," I mumbled.

We finally reached the end of the hospital wing corridor with one minute to go.

"I hear Dumbledore," I whispered.

"Come on!" Hermione said frantically. We crept along the corridor, approaching the door.

"I am going to lock you in," we heard Dumbledore say. "It is five minutes to midnight. Miss Granger, three turns should do it. Good luck."

Dumbledore closed the door, and took out his wand to lock it. We rushed up to him, and he looked up, a huge smile on his face. "Well?"

"We did it!" I said, out of breath. "Sirius flew away with Buckbeak."

Dumbledore beamed, impressed, but not shocked.

"Well done," Dumbledore said. "I think you've gone too. Yes, get inside, I'll lock you in."

We slipped back inside quietly. It was empty, except for Ron in his bed, still unconscious. Harry, Hermione and I all crept back into our beds.

I exhaled, amazed that we had pulled that off. There were multiple points tonight where I honestly thought we were done for. What can I say? I guess we were just good at narrowly escaping life threatening situations!

"Am I allowed to look after my patients now?" Madam Pomfrey said, striding out of her office. I could tell she was angry as she gave the three of us some more chocolate, which I really didn't feel like eating.

"Hey, I'm in the same bed as I always am again!" I said, flashing Madam Pomfrey a small smile, trying to cheer her up.

"That is indeed true," Madam Pomfrey said, rolling her eyes with a smile on her face. I pulled my head back and made a weird face as she suddenly began dabbing some sort of cream on my black eye.