Chapter 10

"Potter! Weasley! Will you please pay attention?"

Harry and Ron both looked up from yet another sword fight, this time with some of Fred and George's fake wands, which had turned into a rubber chicken and a tin parrot.

We were in Transfiguration, and the lesson was nearly over. Today we were supposed to transfigure guinea fowl into guinea pigs, and I had done so successfully. Not as fast as Hermione, but still pretty fast. I begged Professor McGonagall to let me keep one of the guinea pigs, but she wouldn't let me, and threatened to make me write lines if I didn't stop.

"Yeah, Harry, yeah, Ron," I said teasingly. "Get with the program."

Ron stuck out his tongue at me childishly, and Harry threw the rubber chicken at me. It hit me in the head and fell to the floor with a loud squeak.

"Thank you, Miss Potter." McGonagall shot me a look. "Now that Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley have been kind enough to act their age, I have something to tell you all.

"The Yule Ball is approaching- a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to interact with our foreign guests. The ball is open to students in their fourth year and above, but younger students may attend if invited-"

Lavender Brown let out a loud giggle, and then slapped her hand over her mouth. How very Lavender of her.

A ball? That seemed like fun! I nudged Hermione, who was sitting next to me, and she rolled her eyes, a tiny smile on her face.

As if they were in sync, Lavender, Parvati, and Ava all spun around to look at Harry. Yuck. I looked over to see Seamus and Neville both staring at me hopefully. As if. I was going with Fred and only Fred.

"The ball will be in the Great Hall. It will start at eight o'clock on Christmas day, and it will end at midnight," McGonagall continued, ignoring Lavender. "Formal attire will be worn. Girls will have an opportunity to go into Hogsmeade on December the fifteenth to shop and prepare for the ball. Now then-"

She looked around at all of us for a second. The little gears in my brain were already turning- what was I gonna wear? Who was gonna go with who? It was gonna be funny seeing Ron trying to get a date.

"The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to- er, let our hair down," McGonagall continued in a disapproving voice.

I looked at her tight bun and almost burst into laughter.

"But that does NOT mean we will be relaxing the standards of behavior we expect from Hogwarts students," she said, her eyes falling on me for a moment. I nearly snorted. "I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses Hogwarts in any way."

What could we possibly do at a ball that would be embarrassing?

The bell rang, and everyone began gathering their stuff and talking excitedly. I was about to bombard Ava, Olivia, and Hermione about who they were gonna go with, when-

"Potters," McGonagall called. "A word, please."

"What did I do this time, professor?" I groaned, as Harry and I walked up to her desk.

"Was it the rubber chicken?" Harry asked. "Sorry I threw it at Lily-"

"No, Potter," McGonagall said. "Although in the future, I would prefer if you didn't throw things in my classroom."

I smirked, looking at Harry, who had a cheeky smile on his face.

"Sorry about that, Professor," Harry said.

"Now," Professor McGonagall said after a deep breath, "the champions and their partners-"

"What partners?" Harry said quickly.