Graduation Bet

Mako held the piece of paper with both of his hands, squinting at the neat cursive writing across the page. "Asami, you're using words that are too big. I mean, what the hell does 'percipient' even mean?"

Asami put down her wrench and sighed in Mako's direction. "You want me to edit it again? I thought it was good this time around."

Korra plucked the paper out of Mako's hands and stuck her tongue out at him. "That's because Mako doesn't appreciate your vocabulary. I thought it sounded cool. Nice joke at the beginning, by the way."

Asami smiled in relief. "Thanks Korra."

It was Bolin's turn to snatch the paper this time. "Your quote is from Abraham Lincoln? Seriously? That's so bougie, Asami," Bolin giggled. "Why not put some crazy cool celebrity in there. Like that dude from that movie we watched last night! Oh, what's his name…?"

"Okay, there was nothing remotely redeeming about that movie, bro," Mako deadpanned. "She puts a line from there in her speech, they're gonna kick her off stage."

"Whaa? There were some good one-liners!"

Asami frowned and snatcher her speech back. "Look, it's pithy and inspiring. That's the whole point. Inspire the graduating class. Is it inspiring? Am I acting too stuck up? Is it too long? Should I take some of that stuff about 'finding our callings' out? I mean that's sort of corny, isn't it?"

"Wo-hoa," Korra stopped Asami mid-rant and took the written speech away from her. Korra laughed internally when she saw Asami take a deep breath and push her hair away from her face. As collected and optimistic as the girl was, when it came to her work, she was extremely self-critical. Korra knew it was because Asami always wanted to do an exceptional job at everything she did, but sometimes she freaked herself out like this. It was always kind of cute, but Korra never said anything.

"Look, stop stressing," Korra soothed, pushing Asami's hair away from her shoulders. She pulled a hair tie off her wrist and pulled Asami's hair back into a low ponytail. "You've been freaking out about this valedictorian speech for the past week. Graduation is in a couple of days, and you're supposed to be relaxing and enjoying the fact that we're finally done." Korra peeked around Asami's shoulder and smiled. "Stop looking at it for a while, huh?"

Asami smiled and laughed at herself a little, knocking her cheek against Korra's. "Yeah, I know. Ugh, I know I'm overreacting but I want this speech to be perfect. I've got to make an impression, you know?"

Korra was about to open her mouth and respond before her eyes drifted over to Mako, who was smirking knowingly at the two girls. Korra raised a brow, until she realized how close she was standing to her friend. Both hands on her shoulders, their cheeks pressing together, and Korra's torso pressed flush against the back of the chair Asami was sitting in. Korra could feel herself blushing when she immediately straightened up and created a little distance. Mako did nothing but laugh and pull his chair closer to Asami's work table.

"Korra's right," Mako promised. "Bolin and I were just messing with you. The speech is brilliant, and you don't need to do anything to it. Besides, don't you think your physics project is a little bit more pressing? It's due tomorrow."

"Yeah, Korra told me it was an engine, but it just looks like a desk fan to me," Bolin replied, staring pointedly at the device that Asami was tinkering with before she pulled out her speech for all of her friends to read.