Battle of Outskirts & My Heart

Asami did not have an idea as to why she was still dating Mako. Did she feel a sense of security when with him? Did she feel genuine love when kissing him? Did she feel… Sexually attracted to him during heated, intimate nights in his or her bedroom? The answer to these questions are all 'no.' But she does not know why she is still with him. That is until she looks up from her plate of food and sees Korra sitting across from her.

She has always held a grudge against Korra for liking Mako. But one cannot just rid their feelings without some sort of closure that causes them to realize their feelings were not pure. And Asami can tell that Korra's feelings for Mako are more than pure.

Yet she still feels envy and indignation whenever the two catch even a glance at one another. It's unjustified ire that fills her when she sees the two of them hang out together, even if they are 'just friends.' She's angry with Korra; no with Mako… No, no, no! She's angry with herself, though she doesn't know, nor can she find, any reason as to why her blood boils with jealousy that makes her sick to her stomach because it's just not the right path to walk down to deal with her anger stemmed from an unknown source.

It's been 6 months after Amon was defeated; 3 months since Korra's 18th birthday, a month since a little more than a majority of the citizens of Republic City were given back their bending (gang members not included), 2 weeks since the rest of the Equalists were gathered then released upon trial, out of jail/prison, or upon rehabilitation… But most importantly, it had been 6 months since Mako rejected Korra in favor of Asami, thinking that he'd have a more stable relationship with one who's less… Insane and irresponsible.

It hurt Korra, yes, but she had no time for being a typical, lovesick teenage girl, as a new enemy arose from the shadows of the city just 1 week ago; Atroz (Spanish for 'Heinous' and is pronounced Ah-trose).He was a fire-bender, and wanted to be the dictator of The United Republic. So 'Team Avatar' came to save the day once again.

This enemy was a more difficult challenge, though. His army was much larger than Amon's, consisting of some left over Equalists and many others from all the other Nations, save for the Air Nation of course. This threat required drastic help from the Earth Kingdom, and Fire Nation armies led by the Fire Lord and Earth Queen.

Atroz's militia grew very large very quickly due to an extremely charismatic persona and a more-than-significantly high level of persuasion, influence, and coaxing. He believed that all Nations should be one and not separated into groups like some sort of prison that divides each culture, isolating it from the rest of the world, rather than uniting each Nation and their philosophies in order to become one.

His voice was so soft and gentle, not intimidating one bit. But Korra saw the look in his yellow eyes; the insane stare and cracked, wild determination to bring everyone together in the wrong kind of way.

Korra has lived in the Southern Water Tribe for practically her entire life, and knows everything of the unique cultures of each Nation that should be kept sacred and true to their home, not lost in translation with the other cultures customs and beliefs that could cause major problems between two or more of the Nations. Each philosophy is meant to be kept within its own home, safe and sound in its element. Though Republic City unites each Nation, that's all the world can take. Avatar Aang meant for this City to be the center of peace and balance, uniting each Nation in a smaller way that doesn't cause friction between all cultures. He didn't want the world to bite off more than it could chew, because sometimes, one is enough.

And Korra knew this all too well. She not only has past lives to call upon for guidance, but she has her own knowledge and beliefs to add to her decisions before she makes them. And she chose to keep the four Nations true to their cultures, keeping Republic City as the string that ties them all together.