Lost

Asami has serious doubts lingering in her mind even after everything they've been through...

Korra knew something was wrong when she woke up to an empty bed, just like how she fell asleep. Given, Asami is a workaholic, but she always came to bed eventually. Korra shook the sleep out of her system and began the journey around the mansion to find her girlfriend. She first looked in her home office, but she wasn't there. She checked the gym, but she wasn't there. She checked the library, but again she wasn't there. Worry began growing in the pit of her stomach and she ran down the hall that led to the front door. She was going to check the garage before she decided it was okay to lose her mind, but something stopped her when she dashed past the living room. She skidded to a stop and slowly approached the couch.

Asami slept soundly with a thin blanket draped over her. Korra frowned. Why hadn't she just come upstairs to their bed? She carefully nudged her shoulder.

"Hmm? Korra? What're you doing?"

Korra sleepily chuckled. "I came looking for you when I woke up to an empty bed."

Asami slowly sat up and rubbed her head. "I'm sorry, Korra. I just crashed on the couch when I finished in the garage."

Korra still felt that something was wrong in her gut, but she smiled anyway. "It's okay, 'Sami. I'll go make breakfast."

Asami watched her as she walked to the kitchen. When she was finally out of sight, the CEO hung her head. She didn't want to hurt Korra's feelings, but something had been bothering her lately.

Korra hid around the corner and watched as Asami let her sadness show. She frowned and wracked her brain for anything that could've gone wrong lately. She decided to let Asami tell her when she felt like it and continued to the kitchen.

Asami picked around her plate once it was set in front of her. Korra watched nervously as she barely took a bite. "Asami, are you feeling alright?"

Asami barely looked up at her. "Hmm? Yeah, I'm fine. Just a lot on my mind."

"You sure? I'm here for you if you wanna talk about it."

"I know Korra, I'll talk about it when I'm ready."

Korra looked down at her empty plate. "I know…"

For the next several days, it was almost like Asami was avoiding Korra. The Avatar noticed it was more than just being busy with work. Asami was purposely busying herself with other things, like reading, working out, and working excessively in her garage.

One night, Korra stayed up to see if Asami would come to bed. It was after midnight when she finally heard footsteps coming up the stairs. Korra quickly turned over in bed to act like she was asleep. The door opened and a shadow loomed over the bed.

Asami sighed. Korra was asleep. Of course, she was, she's a busy Avatar. She had probably tried to stay up, though, like she had so many nights before. Asami wanted to crawl into bed with her and forget all about her problems, but something held her back. A single tear dripped down her cheek as she turned away. "I'm sorry, Korra."

Once the door was shut, Korra opened her eyes wide. She quickly sat up and stared at the door. What in the world was going on? What did Asami have to be sorry about?