Ch. 79 Family Ties (Part 2)

Megan POV
Tony and I are bonding extremely well with my family. They really accept us. Plus, everyone loves the pictures I brought of my mom, my dad, and myself. I even showed them pictures from my wedding.

Angela: Y'all wedding looks so beautiful.
Megan: Thank you. I honesty thought I was going to be so worried and stressed out. But Tony's aunt took care of everything.
Zoe: I swear if I ever get married I would want my wedding to look like that.

On that note, we hear granny walk in.

Darlene: Hey everybody.
Amani: Hey granny.

Everyone is helping her bring the groceries in.
I'm over in the corner nervous. Tony comes to where I'm at.

Tony: What's wrong baby?
Megan: I don't think I can do this.
Tony: Why?
Megan: I just have a feeling that she won't like me.
Tony: Baby don't think like that. If everyone here likes you then there's no way that your grandmother won't. Plus, you are lucky to have one that is still living.

That's right. I keep forgetting that Tony doesn't have his grandmother. I hug him and he hugs me back.

Tony: It's gonna be okay.

Amani finds us.

Amani: Hey. Am I interrupting anything?
Megan: Nah. You're good.
Amani: Okay. Come meet granny.

Tony and I follow behind her to the kitchen. My heart my racing. We get there and she looks at us. As a matter of fact, she examines us.

Amani: Granny this is Megan and her husband Tony

Amani: Granny this is Megan and her husband Tony. Megan is your granddaughter.
Darlene: Granddaughter? I don't think so.
Megan: Do you know Michelle?
Darlene: Yes. Why?
Megan: She's my mom.

Grandma looks at me with disbelief. Then, she looks at me even harder.

Darlene: You look just like her.
Megan: Everyone tells me that.
Darlene: What has Michelle been up to?
Megan: Ummm....her and my dad died in a car accident when I was 15.

Disbelief once again. I don't see how she's handling all of this news at once.

Darlene: Oh.
Candace: Mama there has to be something that we didn't know that you didn't tell us about.
Darlene: Wanna know the truth? Here it is. Your mother was so in love with your father, but I disapprove of him.
Megan: Why?
Darlene: He wasn't good enough for her. His family has a history of being criminals and she wanted me to believe that he was not like that. I refused to listen. I told her that she couldn't see him anymore. She was 20 years old when she ran off and got married to him. I told her to never come back. So she packed her bags and they left for California. Never returned nor contacted me.

I never knew my mom did that. She must have really loved my dad.

Angela: So that's why I had to keep it hush hush from all of you.
Candace: But mama I liked him. He treated Michelle so well. Plus, they had a baby together.
Darlene: I know that. It took me years to realize that I mad a mistake. I couldn't tell her who she had to love. I tired to reach her, but I couldn't find her. And now all of these years later I meet my granddaughter. That I never knew I had.

I honestly had no words of what to say. I never knew my parents ran away from home.

Megan: Well, this is your chance to get to know me and my husband.
Darlene: You're right. You both can start by calling me granny.

We all laughed. That is going to take some getting used to.

Darlene: And help me in this kitchen.
Megan: Haha. Yes ma'am.
Darlene: Tony, you can help the boys with the smoke chicken outside.
Tony: Yes ma'am.

So Tony went outside while I was in the kitchen with granny.

Darlene: So tell me Megan. What do you and Tony do in California?
Megan: We are singers.
Darlene: Oh you two can sing huh?
Megan: Yes ma'am. Well, before that I was a fitness trainer.
Darlene: Mhmmm. Okay. How long have y'all been married?
Megan: Almost a month.
Darlene: Y'all just got married?
Megan: Haha. We sure did.
Darlene: Well in that case, will I ever get some great grand-babies?

I was shook. Me? A mom?

Megan: Great grand-babies? This early?
Darlene: Why not?
Megan: I don't know if I'm ready to be a mom.

Granny stops what she's doing and faces me.

Darlene: Megan, every person thinks they aren't ready to be a parent. They fear that they won't be able to take care of the baby, be a good enough parent, or fear of their body changing after having a baby. I want you to remember this, the moment when that baby is given to you and is laying on your chest is the greatest moment in the world and you will forget all the worries about what you'll face with it.

Wow. That's deep actually.

Megan: Oh...gee...I don't know what to say.
Darlene: You don't have to say anything child. Just say you and that fine husband of yours make me some grand babies.

I die laughing and so does she.

Megan: We'll think about it.

Bonding with granny is honestly amazing. Plus, I peep through the window and I see Tony bonding with my cousins laughing and talking. It puts a warm and fuzzy feeling inside me. I love my family.