Chapter 4

John B's POV

Great, just what we need! Another stuck up kook princess like Sarah Cameron and Payton Hales who absolutely makes me want to end my life because they don't understand that pouge's are people too.

I don't even know where this one came from, nor do I even want to know. She's a kook by association and that's all that matters. Just another person to hate me and my friends for absolutely no good reason. I mean I literally just got an attitude from her for trying to pet the dog. What does the fucking dog have to do with any of this?

I finish running to Sarah and her dad Ward to let him know that I finished working on the boat I was working on and I was headed home for the day. After earning nothing but a small nod, I head back to the front yard and climb into my van to head home.

As soon as I reach my house, I get out of the van and head straight inside to grab a beer out of the fridge and hop on my bed. As much as I miss my dad, not having anybody around to parent you is kind of nice. I don't mind living my own way. No curfew, no rules, no chores.

I pull out my phone to check my texts from my group, but unfortunately there aren't any because everybody has plans tonight, but of course I don't. The thing I love about being a pouge is how most pouge's just have one small friend group that's inseparable.

My friend group consists of me, my buddy JJ, Pope, and Kie. I've been friends with JJ and Pope since they were super little, and I've been friends with Kie since right after my dad disappeared. Which was exactly 9 months and 4 days. Yes. I've been keeping track. I just can't wrap my mind around how it just... happened like that? A man who knows the sea so well doesn't just disappear like that.

I scroll through my instagram feed for almost 20 minutes before I put my phone down and just lay on my stomach in boredom. It's only 9:45 on a sunday morning and I'm already bored with nothing to do. How fun, right?

Laila's POV

Me and Payton walk out on a road that takes us to the "downtown" part of the island, and along the way we meet more people. A guy named Topper and Sarah's brother Rafe, who all together isn't that bad looking. Just not really my type I guess. Everybody on the island seems so nice and friendly towards me. Everybody besides John B that I've met so far has been super welcoming to me, but I guess I can understand his attitude.

The thing that I'm happiest about is that there's only one more week of school left here, and they're not making me attend it. Because what's the point? It's just a week and I literally just moved here. There is no point. It wouldn't benefit me so I get a free pass from school essentially.

Payton shows me around the shops and marketplace and we ended up hanging out at the docks until 4pm, sitting in a circle of her friends from school who seemed pretty cool. Eventually she got a call from her mom about dinner, and we booked it back home as soon as we could.

When we got inside we washed our hands and went to the table, and sat together to eat. It felt so foreign, given that me and my dad didn't even eat together. The only time I'd ever had a family dinner was when I ate at my friends houses, which was almost never.
For dinner we had steak and mashed potatoes, and it was honestly one of the best meals I'd ever had before.

After dinner I went up to my room, and decided to do some research. Being the nice person that I am, I had felt terrible all day about how me and Payton treated the John B guy. I did quite a bit of instagram stalking until I came across his account, and I chose to send him a DM.