Chapter 40

Angelo's POV

Laila fell asleep on her bed, and I sigh while I chill on the couch. I don't like any of these situations or circumstances, but I'm not going to let myself get angry about it either. I still keep thinking back on the self harm I saw on Laila, and I wonder if John B knows.

Coming from experience, I know that situations like these are what motivates people to do that, and she definitely needs somebody to be here for her through this. Not saying that he isn't here for her, because he does seem to be, but here for her as somebody who's been in her situation and can relate, if that makes any sense.

She's sleeping soundly right now, and John B's sitting on the edge of his bed with his head in his hands, running them through his hair. He seems stressed out, which I can understand too. He opened up to me about his dad not super long ago, which makes my heart hurt for him. My dad isn't a good man, but atleast I know where he's at. I wouldn't like the discomfort of not even knowing wether my dad is safe and alive or not.

"You alright, man?" I ask him, and he looks up at me, and then to Laila. "Yeah, I'm just tired." He says, yawning and stretching, then standing up. "Then sleep, I don't think anybody will mind.." I tell him, and he's quick to shake his head negatively. "She might need me if she wakes up." He shoots back quickly, making me smile. Must be nice to have somebody who cares about you like that, honestly.

I look over at Laila, sleeping facing the wall. Her body goes up and down peacefully with each breath she takes, and she seems content. "I'll be here if she wakes up, I promise." I reassure John B, giving him a convincing look. He hesitates and then nods, kicking off his shoes and then climbing into his wooden twin bed, pulling the covers over him.

I pull out my phone and scroll through my old messages, given that I can't have any social media right now. Every now and then I look at Laila and then John B, making sure that they both get the rest that they need. I open the old messages with my ex girlfriend, sighing and scrolling all the way up to a month or two ago, when things were really good.

After I've read enough, I wipe away a singular tear that fell down my cheek, and sniffle. I recompose myself, and just as I do, Laila begins to stir, rolling over and then sitting up. She rubs under her eyes sleepily, and then looks over at John B, then at me. I hold my finger up to my lips in a shhhh motion, but without any sound and then point at him. She seems to understand and then nods, standing up.

Laila's POV

John B fell asleep with his mouth wide open, and it's adorable. I actually love this boy, I swear. After standing up, I decide to go the the kitchen and ask for a snack, or some sort of food. I find my way down the hallway and into the living room, spotting Carrie sitting on the couch watching some sort of reality show on TV.

"Excuse me..?" I ask her sheepishly, my anxiety kicking in. I feel like a burden to everybody now because of Payton, because I dragged us all into this mess. "Of course sweetheart, what's up?" She asks me with a warm smile and friendly attitude, making me feel somewhat better. "Can I have a snack or something please? I'm starving.." I say, and she's quick to answer me.

"Why of course, you're welcome to anything in the kitchen at any time honey, and if you see something you want that we don't have, let me know and I'll grab it at the store!!" She says, making me smile. She reminds me of my mom with her hospitality. I miss my mom so much. She was such a great person, and if only she were still here.

I shake off the incoming sadness and navigate my way to the pantry, opening the cabinet and looking through everything. I settle with a pack of cheese and peanut butter crackers, taking them to the dining room table with me and opening the pack. I begin to eat the crackers, and they're either super good, or I'm just super hungry.

After a few minutes, Angelo comes into the dining room and sits next to me, seeming more sociable and friendly than usual, which is almost concerning, but I'll take it. "Hey, are you alright?" He asks me, seeming concerned for me, which causes me to wrinkle my eyebrows in confusion.

"Yeah, why..?" I ask him, and he glances down at my wrists and then up to my face, causing me to panic for a split second. I look at my wrists to see if maybe there was still a scab or two, and there was just tiny faded lines, that you'd have to look at really closely to even tell. There's no way that he knows, because John B wouldn't say a word. There's no way.

"No reason, just wanted to check up on you. I know shits tough right now." He says, seeming genuine. "Thank you, we're in the same shitstorm filled boat.." I tell him with a giggle at the end, and he forces a smile at me. It was obviously forced, and he just seems... Off.

I finish my pack of crackers while we both sit there in silence, and then realize that maybe he's hungry too. "There's food in the big cabinet that's open to all of us if you want any." I tell him, and he nods. It seems like he keeps looking at my body as if he's looking for something, but I could just be overly anxious right now.

John B's POV

I wake up after atleast an hour or two, immediately looking across the room for Laila, ight my disappointed when I see that her bed is empty. I sit up, looking over at Angelo's couch, seeing a lack of Angelo too. I stand up, stretching my arms out over my head, and then leave my room and walk over to Payton's, peaking my head in to see if Laila's in there.

Payton gives me a look of disgust, and I flip up my middle fingers to her and walk out, heading to the living room. Payton and Laila's grandma sits on the couch, and I look at her and she seems to know exactly what I'm about to ask, and points towards the door to the dining room and kitchen. I nod without saying a word and head in there, seeing Laila and Angelo awkwardly sitting at the dining table.

Laila's face lights up when she sees me, making me smile and get somewhat butterflies. "Hey sleepyhead.." She says to me, and I sit down in the chair next to her.

A/N again i'm rlly sorry for lack of updates i've just been mentally going through it and i don't have a whole lot of motivation to post, but i'm working on it i guess