Chapter 27

Topper's POV

I open the door for Laila, allowing her to walk right into my house, closing the door behind her. She's dressed like a dork, it's summer in the OBX and she's dressed in long sleeves and pants. I give her a side hug, welcoming her.

I'm not sure what I see in my future with Laila, but I don't know how to tell her that I don't really want a relationship. Maybe friends with benefits, but not a relationship. Maybe somebody to play, but not date. She's my type, but not my type in a relationship.

I prefer my girls popular and pretty basic, and she just.. Isn't that. Plus, she's only being fostered here, meaning that at any point she could just have to suddenly leave the island and never come back. Ron and Katie haven't ever adopted any of their foster children, so it's foreseeable that she won't be around for more than a few months.

We stand across from eachother in my kitchen while I grab two cans of beer out of the fridge and hand her one, while she hesitantly takes it. "Do you want a short sleeve? You can borrow one of mine." I offer her, and before I can even finish speaking she shakes her head no furiously.

I raise my eyebrows at her reaction, but shrug it off. It is what it is. "Was everything alright this morning?" I ask her, curious as to why she sounded like she was going to cry this morning when I called her.

"Yeah, why?" She asks me, and I reply with "No reason." Girls are weird and emotional, so I'd rather leave it at that than to push it further and end up with some emotional ball full of mess on my hands.
She shrugs my question off and we go to my living room and sit on the couch.

I wrap my arm around her while we sit on my couch, and she leans into my body as I do so, making me sigh. I don't really like her, and I almost feel bad for leading her on the way I am because she's so sweet and innocent.

John B's POV

I sigh as I sit in my kitchen, not being able to stop thinking about what she did to herself. I want a way to be around her more, and I absolutely hate the fact that we've got to hide it from her parents. It isn't fair, but I think I've come up with an idea on how to counter it.

I don't really work for Sarah Cameron's dad as much as I used to, and I know that Ron is hiring people to clean and take care of his boats and yard. If I could possibly score a job with him, I know damn well things would work out a whole lot better than they do right now.

I glance at the time, which is 1pm. Laila's been gone for a few hours, but hasn't texted or called. I wonder what she's up to. I get into my van and get ready to execute my plan, driving over to Laila's house.

When I get there, I hop out of my van and walk up the driveway and to her front door, ringing the doorbell and hearing the dog bark at me. The lock twists and Ron opens the door, greeting me with a confused look across his face.

"John B, how can I help you?" He asks me, standing in the doorway instead of inviting me inside. "Well sir, I heard you were looking for a helping hand with your boats and lawn, and I really need a job because of, y'know.." I say, and he doesn't reply.

He finally invites me in and into his dining room, and we sit across from eachother at the table. I wonder if Laila's home, and I half hope she'll come downstairs right now so that I can atleast get a glance of her and her gorgeous ass.

"You're lucky that I'm taking you up on this, because I'm desperate for help right now. But son, if you steal anything like you've got a history of, it's over for you. No more job here, or at the Cameron's." He says sternly, and then shakes my hand.

I've heard wonderful things from people who've previously worked for him, such as they get provided meals most of the time and treated like family, even the pouges who work for him. Maybe I've got a chance at this, who knows?

Just as we finish up having a conversation about how I start tomorrow and what he needs done, Katie comes downstairs and greets me with a smile, but no words. She's always been very nice and motherly seeming every time I've had any interaction with her, which is really sweet.

"When is Payton coming home? I'd like her home before dinner." Ron asks her, and Katie tells him that she'll have Payton go pick her up right now, causing me to mentally frown. Where is she, and who is she with? She doesn't know anyone else here, and she doesn't even have Payton with her.

I shake off my thoughts as I stand up to leave, and drive home. As soon as I drive home I see JJ's car in my driveway, meaning he's home to stay with me for a little bit, which is nice. I walk inside my shack and see him sitting on the couch, and he glances at me as soon as I walk in.

"Bro are you alright? You left all the bandages and shit out and there was blood all in the trash can." he asks me, causing me to sigh heavily. I know it isn't really any of his business, but I need to get everything off of my chest, so I begin to tell him.

"Well you know Laila and how I was a complete asshole to her last week?" I say, and he nods. "Well she ended up cutting herself over it I think and I wanted to take care of her. I feel like I fucked up big time." I tell him, and he gives me the advice that I need to not leave her side and regain her trust, followed by giving me a hug.

Laila's POV

Katie picks me up from Toppers after we watched movies for a few hours. He seemed kind of off today, but I don't really care. He isn't the one I'm interested in, that's John B. When I got home to eat, there was pork chops and zucchini, which is my favorite vegetable.

"So I hired that John B kid, try and make him feel welcome despite what I've said about avoiding him in the past. Ward Cameron might've been over dramatic about the boy and I was wrong for disliking him for that." Rom says to the family, and I stop chewing my food.

Was John B just not going to tell me this important detail that he's literally WORKING for my dad now, or what? Was I just supposed to find out? What the fuck.

A/N. Updates will start coming out like usual now, 25 votes for next chapter