Chapter 22

Payton's POV

After receiving a concerning call from John B while sitting at a campfire with Sarah, I open my instagram feed and search Laila's account, clicking on her story to see a picture of her sleeping on Topper. Topper as in Sarah's ex boyfriend. Sarah already got a new boyfriend, but this isn't good.

I move my phone away when Sarah asks what I'm looking at and tries to look over my shoulder, and I tell her it's nothing and she backs off and sits back down in our friend group surrounding the fire.

I open my messages with Laila and aggressively type to her as quickly as I can.

Laila wtf u can't do that. Sarah will kill u. What happened to John B?

I don't really care much if Laila sleeps around with Topper, but I have to prevent her from doing it so that I can be the peacekeeper and not allow any drama to happen between Sarah and Laila, given that Topper still practically lives at Sarah's house because Rafe and Top are super close.

"It isn't what it looks like. When r u coming home so I can explain. My friend is staying at the hotel so I'm bored"

That was Laila's reply, and after reading that I become curious and say goodnight to my friends, and drive myself home. When I get inside I go straight upstairs to Laila's room, and she explains to me what happened.

I give her a high five for that, because I myself am rather petty. I warned both her and John B that it wasn't a good idea, and look at where they've ended up. It didn't even last a month, to be exact.

I tell Laila to block Sarah on instagram, even though they don't follow eachother, just to be safe and avoid her finding out. In all honestly I'm not sure she'd actually care that much, but just in case. In all honestly I'd rather Laila end up with Topper, because I know I can trust her around him and my parents adore Topper.

I'm not going to push it on her, but I definitely won't fight her about it. At the end of the day she can do whatever she wants, but still. Topper, a trustworthy kook, or John B, a pouge? Yeah, I'm gonna go with the first one. Somebody I've known my whole life basically.

After Sarah's blocked, she starts acting rather weird, not like herself. I feel like it's definitely because of John B, because I know how heartbreak makes you feel. I wish it wouldn't be happening over him, but the best I can do is be here for her and help her get over it as quickly as possible, like I helped Sarah do.

Sarah was too mature for Topper anyways, plus her brother and him are best friends so it's just kind of awkward. It might work out better for Laila and him anyways, their personalities compliment eachother.

Laila's POV

It's nearly 7:45, and I'm getting ready to ask Katie and Ron if they mind me staying the night with Cameron and his older brother Zach at their hotel. I knock on their bedroom door, and Katie lets me in. I ask her my question and she has absolutely no problem with it, and even gives me a miniature duffel bag to put a few outfits in.

I pack a baiting suit and two changes of clothes and my makeup and chargers, and Ron drives me to the hotel. I really appreciate how nice and kind Katie and Ron are, I don't think they've told me no at any point during me living here. It's awesome, but maybe that's how parents are supposed to be? I wouldn't know.

I take an elevator up to Zach's room, arriving there at 7:57 exactly. They let me in and I greet Zach with a long hug. He's been like my older brother ever since mine left me at 18. He's always helped me with my Dad and has always given me rides places, and it's a bond just like a family member.

He asks me how I'm doing given the circumstances, and I tell him that everything including John B, and Cameron overhears and gets extremely angry, given he had no idea of anything that had happened after he left. "I'll fucking wreck that bitch." he says out of anger, and I quickly objectify.

We all decide to go to boardwalk to get some food, and I decide to be petty in case I see him. Topper gave me his sweatshirt while I was at Rafe's house, so I change into that along with some short jean shorts, and some anklets and sandals. I put on a pearl choker, brushing through my hair. I decide to go without makeup, leaving my freckles visible.

When we get to boardwalk, we walk around at various shops and end up eating at a hot dog shack with outdoor seating. After about 20 minutes of eating my phone vibrates, and I pick up my phone to look at it. It's a text from John B.

"Really?"

As soon as I read that, I look around everywhere, not being able to lay eyes on him. "What're you looking for?" Cameron asks me, looking around too even though he doesn't know what to be looking for. Finally after turning all the way around I lay my eyes on him, off in the distance, on his phone. Great.

"We need to leave, now." I tell the both of them, and they follow me without question, seeming to get the vibe that I'm giving off. We walk back to the hotel, and as soon as we reach our room Cameron questions me.

"Did you see somebody? What happened?" And I explain to him that he texted me, most likely about the hoodie, which has toppers last name printed on the back from his season of soccer last year.

Zach laughs when I tell him that, and tells me that I should've stayed out just to make him look at it more, but that's too far for me. I don't really even want to try and make him hurt or make him jealous, I just want to forget about it all.

We spend the rest of the evening in the hotel pool, and then I sleep in a bed with Cameron on opposite sides, Zach sleeping in his own bed.

25 votes for next chapter again