Chapter 5

Laila's POV

I wake up to my phone ringing next to my head, forgetting that I forgot to charge it before falling asleep last night. I look at my phone right after the ringing stops. The time is 2:38am and the number who called me isn't in my contacts. It's a random number with an OBX area code.

I unlock my phone and take a deep breath before I call the number back. It rings four times with no answer and I begin to lose hope in whoever it was answering the phone, until I hear a "Hey, Kookcess" from the other end.

Him. It's him.

"Hi? what's up?" I ask him, hearing the tiredness in my own voice. I hear him chuckle, and I roll my eyes over the fact that he STILL couldn't even text me back, but can call me at an ungodly hour to wake me up. That's kind of low, but it's whatever. I feel a strange need to try to befriend him, especially after hearing about his parents.

"Just wanted to make sure you had my number. My friend Kie said you texted her and it reminded me that I had your number." he said, and I could literally hear the smirk in his voice. He knows damn well that he woke me up, and he seems to be enjoying it. He must be one of those boys.

I yawn and ask him if he needs anything else, while I add his contact to my phone. I find it odd how Kie could tell him I texted but not reply to me, I was only trying to be friendly, but whatever. It is what it is, I won't be the one to push the issue.

He says no, and then asks me a question that makes me begin to rehearse scenarios. "Want me to show you someplace cool on the island?" After hearing that, I said sure and then asked him what time, assuming he meant tomorrow.

"Well the thing is, I'm sort of already at the docks near the cameron's and hale's house. How far are you from there?" He says, sounding like he's expecting me to say no. I still don't think he realizes that I live with Payton, and part of me wants to keep it that way. Maybe he'll think I moved here with my own family or something, and things won't seem as awkward? I don't know.

I think about my answer for a few seconds and then make up my mind. "I'll be at the sidewalk between the Hale's and Cameron's in 10." I say, taking a sharp breath in. I used to sneak out of my apartment a lot at home without thinking much of it, but if I get caught here, would it be worth it? Payton's parents seem super laid back and chill, I think I'd be alright even if i get caught.

Haha, look at me. Only my second night here and I'm already doing dumb shit I'll probably regret. I turn the lights on in my room and bathroom, and pick out something cute. I choose a pair of black leggings I brought from home, and a cropped white nike shirt from what Payton left in here. It was on the cooler side today so I'll probably regret wearing this if it's much colder tonight, but that's okay. Maybe this is that little break that I need away from everything.

I pull my hair up into a messy bun and turn off all the lights, feeling the adrenaline rush through my veins. I grab my phone and quietly open my door, leave, and then shut it, tip toeing down the hallway to the stairs. Thank god Diego sleeps with Dawson, so I don't see him being an issue tonight. I go out the back door so that I can go around the neighbors backyard so it doesn't appear that I'm coming from the Hale's house.

I stand on the sidewalk in between the houses for ten entire minutes, and start to feel stood up like this was some cruel joke. I pulled out my phone and called him twice, the call going straight to voicemail both times. I clench my fists in anger, both at myself for being so stupid, and him for standing me up. It's 2:50am, it's really cold, and I'm standing out here like an idiot. Just as I begin to walk back to my house, my phone rings. It's him.