Not A Drag - Shikamaru x Reader

Requested By: n/a

Prompt: Shikamaru, your best friend since the academy days, has always had a crush on you. You were dating an abusive civilian, you were kicked out of your house after your boyfriend went too far.

TW: slight verbal and physical abuse / attempted suicide manipulation.

Shikamaru x reader

(Not following the Naruto plotline)

WC: 3606

---------

You're eyes closed as the cool air brushed by your face. The mission you had just gotten back from was, in fact, a success. It was time for you to relax, and you had chosen to do so alone, laying by a big tree under the sun.

"Gosh, Shikamaru. You know, you can't scare me," you joked as your best friend stepped out of the shadow of the tree. "What are you doing here anyway?"

"The same thing as you," he said, laying next to you with his hands behind his head. "You didn't tell me you were back," he mumbled, also closing his eyes.

"I didn't think you would care so much. Besides, I wasn't even gone that long," your response was less than satisfactory to him.

"You were gone for a month, of course, I wanted to know if you were back," he looked at you with a small smile. "You're such a drag," he knew that you hated it when he complained that everything is a drag.

"Man, you're one to talk," you sat up and looked down at him. "I'm going home," you shifted to your feet and felt a tug on your pant leg.

"Stay here with me?" He pleaded.

"No thanks, pineapple man. You know how to piss me off too quickly," you shook off his hand and began walking home.

"Damn woman. You're lucky that I hate actually bothering you," Shikamaru mumbled to himself as he watched you walk away. "What a drag," as soon as you were out of sight, he stood up and began going home to. He couldn't get his mind off you, the thought of wanting to make you fall in love with him. You've been friends since the academy, but he always wanted to be more than that.

He opened the door to his apartment and sighed, wishing that you were there with him. He found himself laying on his couch, still thinking of you, upset that instead of him, you had chosen to date a civilian, even if it was dangerous. The idea of it made him mad, almost.

"Eiji, can you-" you were about to ask your boyfriend to hand you the book you had been reading before you left on your last mission.

"No. I'm not doing anything for you anymore. You're so... Lazy. You're always gone and never do anything for me," he had been acting like this since the mission before your last one. Refusing to do any small task that you would ask of him, which made it difficult to live with him.

Not to mention the fact that he had recently become more verbally aggressive, and had tried to tear you down. It's gotten much more difficult for you.

"In fact, if you're just going to cry about it, why don't you just leave!? You are good for nothing! You just sit and read all the time, like nothing even matters to you!" He yelled, throwing the book at your face, where the heavy spine hit your nose, breaking it and making it bleed. Tears stung at your eyes, threatening to fall.

"Alright! Fine! I'll go!" You yelled back, face bright red from anger. You grabbed your bag that you kept by the door in case of emergencies, and the need to leave. You slung it over your shoulder and walked out the door, slamming it behind you before the tears started rolling. You held your pained nose and left his house.