Should Have Said So - Kakashi x reader

Requested By: dotbunny

Prompt: they're in love with each other but both are hiding it until the day they have to share a bed while resting in an inn during a mission.

TW: none

Kakashi x reader

(Not following the Naruto plotline)

WC: 5744

I might actually turn this into a full story :0 not just a one shot.

---

"You mean I have to be teammates with her of all people?" Kakashi peered at lady Tsunade, than back to his now teammate, (y/n).

"You couldn't send me on a mission with anyone else?" She glared daggers at Kakashi. (Y/n) showed that she hated the idea, but in her mind, was thanking the Hokage. She hid her blush well, just to pretend that Kakashi not wanting to go with her, didn't kind of hurt her feelings.

"No, everyone else is already on missions," she stated, looking at you. "It should be a simple mission, really. And just to see how well you've been training, (y/n), you'll be leading the mission," her eyes moved to Kakashi, who had the same blank expression.

"My Lady, shouldn't I, the jonin of the team, be leading?" He asked cooley, more direct at (y/n) to assert his dominance over her. She scoffed, but couldn't help but think it was almost protective.

The room fell awkwardly silent, to be honest, (y/n) didn't really care. She didn't really want to put in the effort to be the captain. She chuckled to herself slightly, deciding to try and bother him more.

"I'm sorry, Kakashi, are you afraid that a chunin, such as myself, can't handle being the leader of a mission as simple as this?" She teased, glancing at him.

"That's enough. (Y/n), do you actually want to lead? I said it was to test your training but if Kakashi over here is going to act like this, it might ruin the mission,"

"Hmm... I don't mind either way. If Kakashi wants to be the 'big strong manly man' then go ahead, I couldn't care less,"

"I don't want to lead because I want to be a 'big strong manly man'," he muttered under his breath.

"Whatever," she agreed, turning back to the Hokage.

She explained the details of the mission to (y/n) and Kakashi. They were meant to deliver a scroll to the Land of Waves, where the feudal lord of the Land of Fire is currently staying for a business trip. Although, from what Tsunade said, it sounded more like a vacation. She said There shouldn't be much trouble, and if there was, the pair could easily handle it.

They were dismissed after a few minutes of explaining, and receiving the scroll. They would leave the next morning for the long trip they had to take together. The sun was an hour away from setting, but clouds loomed in the air, as if they were threatening to rain.

Kakashi made his way to his small apartment, leaving (y/n) behind. He ignored everything around him as he walked, nose deep into his book. Turing the page, he entered the cozy place he called home.

The book was placed on the kitchen counter as Kakashi hid his face in his palms. 'she... Reminds me of Rin' he thought to himself, frustrated at his past mistakes. Although, she didn't really remind him of Rin. The way he felt around her was the problem.

The tears staining his cheeks faded away as he stood from his slouched position to make a cup of instant ramen.

Meanwhile, (y/n) was already back home with her brother, who had already made curry for dinner.