First Choice - Rock Lee x Reader

Requested By: n/a

Prompt: I went camping irl and my friends ignored me the whole time so I wrote this to cope. (Sorry it's not a request).

TW: none

Rock Lee x reader

(Not following the Naruto plotline & modern)

WC: 2895

[The art is mine, it's an oc ship]
—––

I thought it would be a fun weekend. Friday through Sunday, a camping trip to the river with the gang. All of us. Me, Naruto, Sakura, Kiba, Hinata, Shino, Shikamaru, Ino, Choji, Neji, Tenten, and well, best of all, Lee. That sweet boy everyone knew I was in love with... besides him, of course.

I get it, he's dense. Always has been, and I don't expect that to change. It's impossible to hate him though. He's a ball of sunshine, a ray of hope in my eyes, if he ever noticed that I might need help. But specifically from him. He seems the type to like hugs, right? He's taller than me, a total power house, the person who keeps me going.

Like I said before, I thought this trip would be fun. I tried to convince myself "I'll have lots of fun." But it didn't work. I went along, watching everyone around me talk and swim and have fun. However, I didn't fit in. No, they left me out on purpose.

I would try and sit around the campfire and make conversation with anyone who would listen to me. Occasionally Lee would point out I hadn't said anything, but if course, everyone ignored him too. That's what made me angry. Ignore me all you want, but not Lee. After a second, he would go back to his conversation, or whatever he was doing.

The last night was the worst though, up to a certain point. My phone was only partly charged, that was good enough. I created a playlist called 'midnight by the river' dedicated to sitting at the river bed, late at night, to think and be alone, by choice. I would relax for 2 hours and 31 minutes exactly before going to bed. A perfect plan by all means. I was excited, finally.

We were all sitting around the campfire, somehow, someone had gotten Shikamaru to show off his wonderful guitar skills, with songs ranging from Taylor Swift, to John Denver. His range of musical knowledge is impressive, if I'm being honest with myself. The night went on, the guitar passed to a few people who knew all sorts of music. The gang slowly tricked to bed, and the circle around the dying fire shrunk.

When I realized how late it had gotten, I decided to head to the river, in my shorts and tank top. It was too cold for everyone else, they were all bundled up already. Sleeping bags along with pillows and blankets. The cold didn't bother me anyway, having a higher starting body heat. I ignored the cold, bringing a towel, and my phone.

No one noticed when I slipped away, it doesn't matter. I would be alone. By choice. It was going well, for the first three songs. So much for that plan. Ino and Sakura had seen me, and decided now that I wanted to be alone, they would bother me. I turned the music off and sighed.

"Can we join you?" Sakura asked, sitting next to me.

"I guess..." I replied, unsure of my decision to let them stay. And for good reason, too. They started chatting about my interests, not letting me say anything. They ignored me as I sat in what was supposed to be silence.

Of course, just like everyone else, they didn't notice when I got up, and left to find somewhere else to sit. If it was Lee who came, I would have stayed to talk to him. He would listen to me.

I found a new place, and changed the playlist name to 'Midnight by the Tree' instead. It fit better, now I was at the base of a tall pine tree, sitting on a towel. I turned my music back on, in hopes that either I would be left alone, or someone would notice I had left again. I smiled to myself as I sat, now in a more... lonesome silence. They knew I didn't stay at the campsite, but they didn't look for me at all. I was alone, no longer by choice.