Chubby Confidence - Sai x Reader

Requested By: cuddlysushi

Wow!! Two in a day! (I've been trying to get this one done for a long time, I finally kinda finished it)

Prompt: Sai read in a book somwhere that all chubby girls are self conscious and shy. He only believed it until he met the very cute, confident, chubby (y/n).

TW: it's literally so pure.

Sai x Cubby!Reader

(Only sort of following the Naruto plotline / Sai is written weird bc he's experiencing things he doesn't understand, the bean boy.)

WC: 1454

[Unedited]

—––
It had been awhile since they left. I heard that team Guy had also gone along to support, and supposedly, they should be returning soon. Or now. I passed the front gates, seeing Guy running as fast as he could, carrying Kakashi on his back. I watched, Lee shortly behind them. They exchanged some words, and started to the hospital.

I followed behind them, curious as of what Kakashi's injuries are. We arrived at the hospital, I quietly watched. I soon found out that we'd have a new squad leader and teammate due to Kakashi and Sasuke's absence.

[A few days later]

"Can you guys at least try to get along with him?" I sighed, and hit the top of both Naruto and Sakura's head.

His name is Sai. Pale skin and a nothing but fake smile. Something about him bothers me, but that's fine. Because he's charming, in his own way.

Our Captain, his name is Yamato. Seems nice. Not much to say about him, he's a mystery.

"Now apologize," I said through gritted teeth. Naruto and Sakura bowed their heads.

"Sorry..." They said in unison.

"I forgive you," Sai kept that fakey smile of his and walked past us. Yamato only sighed.

[Blah blah blah you all know what happens on their mission together blah blah // back to Konaha]

"Sakura! Sai! I greeted, seeing them walking together. I was talking to Naruto, about to meet up with the other two.

Our conversation started, Sai staying quiet for the most part, until he asked if it would be alright if he joined in.

I couldn't pay complete attention to the conversation, as I saw that Sai was watching me. Sakura said something about nicknames, which ultimately led to Sai trying to come up with names for all of us.

I don't remember what he called Naruto, but he did call Sakura ugly, which made Naruto grab Sakura to hold her back while I laughed.

He then continued to look at me, a glint of wonder in his eye.

"Chubbs," he decided. Both Sakura and Naruto stopped wrestling, making the space around us blank. I blinked, not exactly surprised at the name, as that was a common one.

A grin began to form on my face as I began to laugh. "At least it's better than ugly!" I belted, losing my breath. Sakura went red, but I slowly began to relax. "Sai, you can call me chubbs if you want. As long as I can call you... Cutie," I smiled. Sakura and Naruto's jaw's dropped. Sai's expression harden, but he nodded, a tinge of pink on his cheeks.

"WHAT!?" Naruto exclaimed, holding Sakura with one arm, pointing to Sai and I with the other hand.

I wrapped an arm around Sai's shoulders, and turned to the speechless duo, who were staring in awe.