There is Something Wrong With You- Sai x Reader

Prompt: comforting his gf while she's having an anxiety attack.

TW: none

Sai x female!reader

(Modern au, not following the Naruto plotline)

*Disclaimer, yes, I know that most people who suffer with anxiety and panic attacks don't like being touched when dealing with an episode, at least I don't like it when I have to deal with anxiety. But the idea of this one shot is that (y/n) is the kind of person who needs physical contact to maintain sanity during these moments. It happens to some people who need that kind of attention.*

WC: 1070

----

"Sakura she's crying what do I do?" Sai said into his phone. His girlfriend sat curled in a ball, crying. Something had made her fall into a major panic attack, something Sai wasn't used to dealing with.

"You could start with a hug," Sakura suggested.

"A... What?"

"You know, a hug. I've hugged you before, Naruto had hugged you,"

"I still don't know what it means,"

"Just ask her, you'll figure it out,"

"Uhh... Okay, thanks Sakura,"

"Yeah, no problem. Good night Sai," she hung up, leaving Sai to comfort her girlfriend. He set his phone down on the counter top.

"(Y/n)?" He sat next to her on the ground, crossed legs. She stayed partly silenced, other than her desperate sobs for help. "(Y/n), how do I help you?" He said quietly, slightly panicked himself. He didn't like seeing you like this, but he wasn't sure what to do.

"J-just stay quiet," she stuttered out, arms hugging her legs. Sai just watched her get worse. He's seen others comfort her before, but he didn't know what it was that they did. She reached out her shaking hand to grab his calm one. He laced his fingers in hers. Her breath started to slow down, as did her heart rate.

"Do you want to hug?" He asked cooley, still not very sure of what he meant. She nodded and leaned on his shoulder. "I don't know what a hug is," he said, uncrossing his legs. (Y/n) did her best to show him, by wrapping her arms around his side. "Oh... So like this?" Sai proceeded to place his arms around her, and scoot so she was close to his chest. He held her tightly and listened to her calming breath.

"Just... Like... That..." She agreed, sniffling into his shirt. He was surprisingly warm, and acted like a weighted blanket. She shifted so she could rest her head on his shoulder. "I feel like there's something wrong with me," a whisper landed in Sai's ear.

"Of course there's something wrong with you. But there's something wrong with everyone, so it's not a big deal," he replied, doing his best to comfort her. She just chuckled, and buried her face in the crook of his neck.

The cold winds from the dead if night pressed against the small house where they lived. Minimum light came from the hallway where their bedroom light was on.

"Are you ready to go back to bed yet?" Sai said in a low voice.

"No,"

"Okay," Sai held her tighter, making the correct assumption that it would ease her nerves. "Whenever you're ready," he began rubbing her back up and down, remembering seeing someone else do it.

A few minutes passed as Sai continued to stay silent as he held her. A light snore started from her as she finally found comfort in his arms. Her arms dropped from Sai when she fell unconscious for the second time that night. Sai stood, holding the now sleeping (y/n) bridal style to carry her to their bedroom. He set her on their bed, under the covers, and crawled in with her keeping his distance between her so she wouldn't wake up.

Suddenly her breath got quicker, even in her sleep. She silently reached for Sai, and grabbed his hand to pull him as close as he could.

"(Y/n)?" He said quietly when turning to look at her. "Oh... You're still sleeping," he eventually curled around her, and she held onto him like there was no tomorrow. "I'm right here, there is no need to worry. I'll stay right here," her grip stayed, but loosened. (Y/n) mumbled something through her sleep. "I love you too, (y/n). Or at least I think I do. As far as I know, I am in love with you. I am sorry you have to deal with this so often," he whispered, and kissed the top of her head. (Y/n) said something random in her sleep again, making Sai smile. "Get some sleep now," he rested his chin on her head and begun to doze off.

"Sai you're... Oh forget it. You may be crushing me, but I can't help but like the physical contact," she stated with a sigh. The sunlight had woken her up, along with Sai literally laying flat on top of her.

"Huh?" He finally woke up, and moved his head off her shoulder. There faces were only centimeters apart from each other, creating some strange tension between them. (Y/n) suddenly brought her head forward, and kissed Sai where he was. It took him a second to realize what was happening before he rolled off of her.

"Morning, Sai," she smiled, propped herself on her side and placed a hand on his face.

"Can you please do that again?" He asked, refiring to kissing him. (Y/n) pressed her lips to his again, and Sai returned this kiss. When they finally parted, Sai had no clue what to say. "Um..." Was all he could mutter to himself.

"Thank you," (y/n) said apologetically. "And I'm sorry you had to deal with me last night, I know it's a pain,"

"It's okay. I know it isn't really a choice you can make," he sat up from where he was and brought (y/n) with him. "I think I love you,"

"R-really?" She asked, knowing Sai, thinking he may be confused.

"Yes," he replied. Sai's face was a bright red, not at all sure what he was supposed to do next after saying something like that. "I- I think so. I've never really- i,"

"Sai, you can stop. I love you too hon," she said before kissing his cheek. He let out a sigh, feeling relived that she knew him so well.

"I'm glad."